Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My "PDF" category won't let go of my books

Help! After I move a book from the PDF collection to another one, the book remains in the "PDF". The selected book shows up in the other collection, but it doesn't disappear from "PDF"; it just floats to the top of the shelf. If I delete the book from "PDF," it disappears from all the collections.

This problem just started after I re-synched my books from iTunes. Any ideas? It's making me nuts.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 12:58 PM

Wwhen you click on the Categories pull down list note the top few are displayed in bold text. The categories you created are shown in regular text. Categories in bold are auto-created based on the metadata contained within the ebook file. This is the case with PDF category. Any file that is a PDF will be listed there. You can't "move" them out,

Create your own categories that better suite your needs. Also note that any book can be in multiple categories. This does not duplicate them.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2015 12:58 PM in response to laurahead108

Wwhen you click on the Categories pull down list note the top few are displayed in bold text. The categories you created are shown in regular text. Categories in bold are auto-created based on the metadata contained within the ebook file. This is the case with PDF category. Any file that is a PDF will be listed there. You can't "move" them out,

Create your own categories that better suite your needs. Also note that any book can be in multiple categories. This does not duplicate them.

Jul 24, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Rysz

When I synched today, all my collections got wiped -- everything got dumped into PDFs. I'm trying to re-create my old collections by working through all my items to find the ones I had moved and returning them to their old hunting grounds. I can't tell which I have moved, because they still show up in PDFs. The old iBooks didn't do that.

I know, its a small thing. But I'm a woman of habit, and resent it anyhow.

Thanks again for your help.

Jul 27, 2015 5:14 AM in response to Adem Meral

Right, that's exactly my problem. I'm a professor, and had categorized my 400+ PDFs by class and project. Since I re-synched, they are an differentiated mass. I scroll through them, selecting multiple files to move into a new collection, but am never sure if I've missed any, or am re-doing the same pile. In the old iBooks, a PDF left the PDF category and went to live in its appropriate new home. But now it stays in PDFs, like some intransigent Generation X-er that won't leave home. Super annoying.

Jul 27, 2015 11:22 AM in response to laurahead108

1. Leave the pre-defined (bold text) "PDFs" collection alone - there's nothing you can do about it.

2. Create your own PDF collection (normal text), named, say "PDF Temps"

3. Select all the PDF files in the PDFs collection and move them to the PDF Temps collection.

4. Now move files from PDF Temps to your other thematic collections; because this is a custom collection, the files will be removed from PDF Temps when moved somewhere else.

Jul 28, 2015 12:26 PM in response to Rysz

I totally agree to the opinions presented by laurahead108 and Adam Meral. This new sorting mechanism is an devil's idea. ;-)

But if you could tell me Rysz how to sort by Most Recent? I can only see the options: Shelf, Title, Author and Category (I use different language version so the original english wording could be different).

I also see the option 'Select' on the right side and the switch tiles / file names on the left side...

Thanks in advance!

Jul 28, 2015 11:48 PM in response to laurahead108

Rysz that doesnt solve anything.

Already what ever books you add later goes to the top of the list. You dont have to go to allbooks collection. You can do that on the PDFs collection too.

The problem is you have to remember what book you last categorized. In fact if AllBooks list had showed the collection name in a column, itwould have been workable.And at a second tought even better than before 8.4.But it doesnt.

My "PDF" category won't let go of my books

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.