Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I add sound effects to the iMovie library?

I need a few more sound effects for iMovie. I found one I needed and converted it to .caf successfully but can't figure out how to move it into iMovie's library. In fact I can't find the sound effects library anywhere using Finder, and iMovie won't allow me to show the existing effects in Finder. Where are they stored? Can I add to the library? How?

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 12:10 PM

Hello clellybobus,

It sounds like you are wanting to use some additional sound effects that you have downloaded in an iMovie project. While you cannot add sound effects to the program directly, you can however create a playlist in iTunes first:

iTunes 12 for Mac: Create a playlist

Then use the media browser to add the sound effects to your project:

iMovie (2013): Add audio and music

Add a sound clip

1. In the Content Library section of the sidebar, select iTunes User uploaded file, Sound Effects User uploaded file, or GarageBand User uploaded file.

The contents of the selected item appear as a list in the browser. To filter what appears, you can choose a category from the pop-up menu in the upper-left corner of the browser.

2. In the browser, select an audio clip you want to add to your movie.

3. Do one of the following:

• To add the entire audio clip: Drag the clip from the list to the timeline.

• To add part of the audio clip: Select a range in the waveform at the top of the browser, and drag the range to the timeline.

The audio clip is now attached to a clip in the timeline. If you move the clip the audio clip is attached to, the audio clip moves as well.

CLOS

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2015 12:10 PM in response to clellybobus

Hello clellybobus,

It sounds like you are wanting to use some additional sound effects that you have downloaded in an iMovie project. While you cannot add sound effects to the program directly, you can however create a playlist in iTunes first:

iTunes 12 for Mac: Create a playlist

Then use the media browser to add the sound effects to your project:

iMovie (2013): Add audio and music

Add a sound clip

1. In the Content Library section of the sidebar, select iTunes User uploaded file, Sound Effects User uploaded file, or GarageBand User uploaded file.

The contents of the selected item appear as a list in the browser. To filter what appears, you can choose a category from the pop-up menu in the upper-left corner of the browser.

2. In the browser, select an audio clip you want to add to your movie.

3. Do one of the following:

• To add the entire audio clip: Drag the clip from the list to the timeline.

• To add part of the audio clip: Select a range in the waveform at the top of the browser, and drag the range to the timeline.

The audio clip is now attached to a clip in the timeline. If you move the clip the audio clip is attached to, the audio clip moves as well.

CLOS

How can I add sound effects to the iMovie library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.