Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System extension cannot be used

"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext cannot be used."

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a 2010 Mac Mini and a dialog box has been popping up telling me

"System extension cannot be used

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext” was installed improperly

and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update."

I don't know what is causing this and have tried everything I can think of, including reinstalling Snow Leopard, but nothing has helped. I continue to see this error message. I'm baffled. Can anyone out there point me to a solution?

Mac mini (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 1:14 PM

Open the Script Editor in the /Applications/AppleScript/ folder, copy and paste the entire following line into it, and press the Run button:

do shell script "chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext" with administrator privileges

If it doesn’t work, choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide /System/Library/Extensions/ as the path, throw the AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext item away, and reinstall iTunes.

(130722)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Dr Bubba

Open the Script Editor in the /Applications/AppleScript/ folder, copy and paste the entire following line into it, and press the Run button:

do shell script "chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext" with administrator privileges

If it doesn’t work, choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu, provide /System/Library/Extensions/ as the path, throw the AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext item away, and reinstall iTunes.

(130722)

Jul 24, 2015 2:00 PM in response to Niel

WOW! Thanks very much for such a quick reply. I tried option A and rebooted and the error message popped up, so no joy there.

Then I tried option B and rebooted and the error message didn't appear, so I'm thinking option B solved the problem. I'll run with

this for a bit to confirm the problem's fixed. Thanks again for your super-quick response and for your assistance. I 'preciate it! 🙂

System extension cannot be used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.