Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I no longer receive notification (pre-set sound) of VIP email messages when received

Long ago, on my iPad 2, I set up several contacts as email VIPs, and activated a Notification sound to be played when a message from a VIP is received. Recently, the notification sound has not been playing, although the device iPad plays other audio normally. Settings indicate the Notification is still set correctly. Is there a simple explanation, and solution?

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 3:52 PM

3 replies

Jul 26, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Old Ned

Greetings Old Ned,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like the notification sound for your VIP mailbox doesn't play on your iPad. It can be hard to say why this might happen, and I have a few troubleshooting steps that may help.

First, try turning the notification sound off and on in Settings > Notifications > Mail.

From See important messages - iPad User Guide.

Next, try the steps in If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker. Even though you hear other sounds on your iPad, the steps can still help with the behavior you're seeing.

Best Regards.

Jul 27, 2015 10:16 PM in response to jeremy_v

Thanks for the suggestions, Jeremy. Unfortunately, none of the recommended steps led to a solution of my problem.

I now realize that the iPad sound muting is not limited to VIP email notifications. It appears that no email action sounds play (eg. the Send swoosh). And yet all other audio plays normally — on apps, videos, iTunes, streams.... I have reviewed all of my Mail settings, but can't identify anything which might be causing the sound loss.

Jul 31, 2015 7:24 AM in response to Old Ned

Good day Old Ned,

Thank you for your reply.

It seems like you've discovered that your iPad 2 doesn't play notification sounds for the Mail application. It looks like other notifications work, and you've checked the Mail and Sound preferences in Settings.

Due to the nature of the issue, you may find more information by using Contact Apple Support - https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action.

Best Regards.

I no longer receive notification (pre-set sound) of VIP email messages when received

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.