Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm new to Mac OS 9. Can someone please walk me through the process of connecting to ethernet in Mac OS 9.2.2?

I got a new iMac G3 (non slot-loading 333Mhz) running Mac OS 9.2.2 and I want to connect it to Ethernet but have no idea how to. Please walk me through the process.

iMac, Mac OS 9.2.x, iMac G3, non slot loading

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 4:03 PM

3 replies

Jul 24, 2015 8:34 PM in response to awildenglishcheese

On many models of older Macs, ethernet is not hot-connectable. That is, if the computer does not detect a live device ("live device" = something, like a modem or another computer, signalling its desire to make a connection) as being connected during the startup process, the computer will disable the ethernet port. The so;ution is to make sure such a device is present, connected, turned on and warmed up before booting the Mac.

Very often the live-device requirement can be met easily by incorporating an intermediate device, such as an ethernet hub, switch, or router, in the connection scheme and leaving that on all the time.

There is also the probability that your machine requires the use of a crossover cable (instead of a straight-through or patch-type cable) if you are connecting it directly to another older Mac or to a device (such as an old modem or printer) which does not have an auto-detect port. This non-Apple article addresses that -

https://it.uoregon.edu/connect-macs

Sep 4, 2015 8:44 PM in response to awildenglishcheese

The Ethernet connection is fairly straightforward. Plug it in, boot the computer and that should do it. Otherwise, check TCP/IP control panel as Niel suggests. However, if your question goes beyond that, and you want to know how to access the Internet after making the initial connection, you can use the built-in Internet Explorer to search for and download Classilla, a much more up-to-date browser. If that doesn't work, you may need to bring it over from another computer.

I'm new to Mac OS 9. Can someone please walk me through the process of connecting to ethernet in Mac OS 9.2.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.