Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with 12.2.1 and iPod classic

Hello. I keep 2 ipod classics for the 120 GB HD. I have my wife's stuff on her windows laptop and my stuff on my windows PC. I just synced some music the other day. ITunes had an update and when I plugged in my stuff, it redownloads all the needed drivers. Did my iphone 6 no problem, ipad air 2 no problem, when I put in my ipod classic, it does it's install, iTunes freezes. I exit and reconnect. Nothing. The ipod knows it's connected because it says so, the computer knows it's connected because the open folder autoplay appears, but itunes is confused. The ipod or the cord isn't a problem because it receives a charge from the usb. I deleted an reinstalled drivers, same stuff happens. I got my wife's stuff and updated on her laptop. Phone was fine, pad was fine, pod does the same. Does anyone have suggestions? I don't want to never be able to sync music again. When the ipod does show in itunes, when I press sync, it says the disk is not available. I just synced some stuff last week. I clicked on apple support and they said they'd hear me out for $30. Thanks!

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 4:23 PM

12 replies

Aug 7, 2015 11:08 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your suggestions. Here is what I've done with no success.

Manually deleted drivers and reinstalled.

Manually deleted iTunes and reinstalled.

Let iTunes delete itself and reinstall.

Downloaded the link you posted.

Disabled Norton.

Deleted iTunes again and reinstalled from a fresh link.

A system restore from a previous date (it says iTunes library was created in a newer version, please download the latest version).

Ipad air 2, Iphone 6 still sync no trouble. Still get same iPod errors (frozen iTunes or disk not available). Ipod still says "connected" Autoplay runs and sometimes it's either not detected by iTunes and if it is, it says disk is unavailable.

Aug 7, 2015 11:43 AM in response to cherman24

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, iPod classic connectivity problems, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1. There are other posts implicating Norton AV in iPod classic connection issues. You could possibly need both workarounds.

See also Corrupt iPod classic, just to rule out issues with the device.

tt2

Aug 14, 2015 2:27 PM in response to turingtest2

I do appreciate everyone's time and help. Nothing has worked for me unfortunately. I was even hopeful with the iTunes update today, but still received the same errors on two different computers and two different iPods. Both iPhones and both iPads synced flawlessly.

Is there a way to downgrade to version 11? Also, when I did the system restore point and opened iTunes, it said my library was created in a newer version of iTunes and nothing would show until I downloaded the latest version. How can I work around that?

Aug 17, 2015 2:16 PM in response to turingtest2

Me again 😢 Did the rollback and recovered an older library, added the songs that came up missing, connected the ipod classic and got the errors that I've been getting. Went into disk mode, but cannot see a folder where music is stored (I made sure to show hidden files/folders). The folders are contacts, photos, recordings, and a few others.

The last thing I can try is to upgrade to Win 10 and see if that solves the problem and/or run for third party conflicts. No problems with air 2 or phone 6.

So here's an update to what I've tried...

Manually deleted drivers and reinstalled.

Manually deleted iTunes and reinstalled.

Let iTunes delete itself and reinstall.

Downloaded the link you posted.

Disabled Norton.

Deleted iTunes again and reinstalled from a fresh link.

A system restore from a previous date (it says iTunes library was created in a newer version, please download the latest version).

Rolled back to iTunes 11 (64 bit) and rolled the library back to July 25th to read the library.

Aug 29, 2015 10:46 AM in response to cherman24

Well, I finally got my ipods to sync. This isn't a fix per se, but it worked. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. There is definitely a problem with windows 7 on their end or iTunes on their end with compatibility. Upon upgrading, I plugged in my iPhone 6. It registered, but iTunes didn't recognize this. You have to go to device manager, click on portable devices, and manually install the apple drivers (there are plenty of vids and walkthroughs). The phone synced no problem, the iPad synced no problem, and the pod finally synced...although the ipod screen and the iTunes screen weren't displaying the same message (syncing, connected, ok to disconnect) at the same time. Just remember to deauthorize iTunes PRIOR to the windows upgrade. I forgot to do it on one computer and now one computer is taking up two authorizations.

Hopefully this helps everyone else who is having issues. I honestly appreciate everyone's help, but nothing was working. I'm not sure what to do if/when windows and/or iTunes have another upgrade.

Problems with 12.2.1 and iPod classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.