Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini has very poor image quality using a Samsung monitor

I have a Mac Mini, purchased in January 2014, connected to a Samsung monitor via HDMI. The image quality is terrible. I've tried adjusting the monitor, playing with the display settings on the Mini. No help. I bought it primarily to store and display photos, so it's a big disappointment . (Not to mention that I find the new Photos app inflexible and incomprehensible). Unfortunately, the monitor has no VGA port (which I've read is often the solution). I'm ready to buy a new monitor and write off the purchase of my Samsung. Any suggestions? (And if I do have to buy a new monitor, any ideas on how to avoid ending up in the same boat next time?)

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 7:38 PM

13 replies

Jul 25, 2015 6:14 AM in response to Mke

What size is the Samsung monitor and what other inputs does it have...?

If the monitor is 24" or smaller and has DVI input, you can try an HDMI or Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter and DVI cable.

If the monitor is 27" or larger and has Display Port input, you can try using a simple Mini DisplayPort to Display Port cable.

Jul 6, 2016 12:37 PM in response to Mke

I've been working on this for months, off and on. After trying the "force rgb" item above, with no improvement, I decided to try something that turned out to be the solution in my case. late 2012 iMac, samsung s23hc570h 23 inch monitor, connected via hdmi. Running el capitan, 10.11.5

I can't say I noticed any problems with images, but fonts looked horrible -- blocked, not smoothed, bad enough that it was hard to read emails, webpages, etc.

The "force rgb" fix pointed to the solution for me. If you go through that process, it makes a folder to be put into displays overrides. The instructions indicate "if there is a same-named folder, replace it (back up first if you like)". In my case, the solution was to turn off SIP, _remove_ the folder from the display overrides, and restart.

For whatever reason, the folder that had been there originally, as well as the ruby script-produced replacement folder, both were unnecessary. If I hadn't run the script, I wouldn't have known what folder to remove. In my case, it was "DisplayVendorID-4c2d".

Run the "force rgb" script, and instead of replacing the same-named folder, remove (don't delete) the same-named folder, and restart. You can restore it if nothing changes.

Mac Mini has very poor image quality using a Samsung monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.