Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot receive incoming calls on my iphone 5s

Hi guys, I recently replaced my faulty 5S with a new replacement from the Apple store and was operating fine for a couple of weeks and making / receiving calls in the UK no problem at all. I then went to work overseas (in Angola) and since then I am not receiving any incoming calls. I can make outgoing calls no problem.

I contacted my provider (EE) who very helpfully went through some setpoints in the phone to confirm x and y was switched on/off etc. and performed a network reset, but alas no joy and I still cannot receive calls and have now been advised to come through Apple for support. I have 4/5 bar signal with the in country network provider (Unitel) so signal strength is not part of the problem.

Product - 5S 32Gb

Ser No - F97PP03ZFFGD

Any help or advice available out there?

Ironically......I cannot call Apple direct from my work location as 'all' help line numbers are 0800 which are blocked through my organisation and there seems to be no 'calling from abroad' contact number to call for support (bit of feedback for you Apple......create one for us guys working overseas................or when on holiday!!). Thanks.

Peter
😕

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 24, 2015 11:49 PM

15 replies

Jul 25, 2015 12:14 AM in response to Belgar Lad

The Contact Us link at the bottom of the page was of no help? What country are you in? Most have at least a regional number if not a country-specific one.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

What specific settings did you try? X and Y don't help us determine what troubleshooting you may already have done. What exactly does it mean when you say you cannot receive calls? Are you sure Do Not Disturb isn't turned on?

Jul 25, 2015 8:43 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Alfred,

'x & y' checks consisted of the the following, which I checked, tested and proven to be in correct mode/ functioned correctly.....

• Do not disturb - checked, not enabled
  • Allow Calls - checked, enabled for everyone
  • Data Roaming was deactivated/activated
  • Voice & Data - 4G moved to 3G
  • EU internet - checked, not enabled
  • Carrier - disabled, manually set, checked ok, reset to auto
  • Phone switched on and off
  • Reset - reset network settings
  • Network provider confirmed my location and ability to use data services / signal strength confirmed 4/5 bars
  • Network provider (& family/friends) attempted to call, could not get through (phone worked for both incoming and outgoing calls whilst in UK but failed to operate once overseas (only change made during transit was to put phone in/out of airplane mode)
  • Outgoing phone calls made, working okay

To thicken the plot, my ability to use the 'contact us' link, my current employer has upgraded IE and Apple's website does not support our current version (IE 8) for some reason and defaults a message similar when attempting to use the link.

Hope the above clarifies. Thanks.

Peter

Jul 25, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Belgar Lad

Your employer recently upgraded to a version of IE first released in March, 2009 and already three major releases behind? I see your struggles now.

Anyway, I suspect this may be an issue with your mobile carrier profile on the iPhone. Check in Settings > General > About. Do you get a message to update/u[grade your operator settings? If not, then check what is listed in the Carrier filed on that settings page. Verify with your operator that you have the proper one.

Also, you never mentioned what country. I can provide the contact info you need.

Jul 25, 2015 1:44 PM in response to mommatocharlie

Umm, have you gotten lost and posted in the wrong thread? Antagonistic? Excuse me? You address me directly with a comment like that for what exactly?

I don't know what you're even referring to, but Belgar Lad and I are working through his serious problem so please move along unless you have something to add besides your snippy - and apparently misguided - comments.

Jul 26, 2015 11:19 PM in response to Alfred DeRose

Hi Alfred,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. First off I am based in Angola (I work 28 day on / 28 day off work cycle and fly home to UK each time off).

As per your instructions above I have no messages to update my operator settings and my carrier details read EE 20.0, and when selected it changes to PRL and has a '1' as its setting. Select again and it defaults back to carrier. It would seem from various blogs 20.0 is the latest update + I am usually on the ball with updating any software updates.

Forgot to mention that neither my calling plan or SIM was chnged when I replaced my phone. Unsure if this helps.

Appreciate your continuied help. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2015 2:15 AM in response to Belgar Lad

A couple more questions...

I'm not sure what you mean by "...and when selected it changes to PRL and has a '1' as its setting. Select again and it defaults back to carrier." I am not able to select or affect a change in any of the fields on the Settings > General > About page. Is that what you're saying?

Are you switching SIMs on your deployments to Angola or are you just operating in a roaming environment?

Finally, it sounded like EE focused on you and the device settings during your support call, but did they take the time to be absolutely certain that they have everything set up correctly on their end?

Jul 27, 2015 5:53 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Alrfed, no problem....

When you touch the word Carrier on the phone screen it changes to PRL and shows the number 1 on the right hand side (try it, you'll see what I mean). Unsure if this means anything though.

My SIM is the same one I have been using for a couple of years now, it was swapped over to my new phone when replaced and once I arrive over in Angola its on roaming and picks up the available network. In my case here, UNITEL is the carrier used and works with other similar users and in country mobile telephones.

When discussing the matter with EE they took me as far as the individual could given the information she was supplied and I knew the next answer from them was 'you'll need to contact Apple'. For me the only thing which has changed is the phone and my phone was able to receive calls in the UK no problem for a couple of weeks prior to travelling overseas. Silly question - but do Apple as a rule put a default lock on local country call use only when a new mobile telephone is purchased / swapped out??

Jul 27, 2015 6:09 AM in response to Belgar Lad

Strange. I'm not able to tap or change anything on the About screen for any of the four devices I have here. I have never seen or done that before. Perhaps this is the anomaly that is contributing to your problems. Maybe someone else has experience in seeing this, but unfortunately I don't.

Finally, to answer your question - no Apple does;t do anything to control your calls. It is completely under the domain of the mobile operator, either through your account with them, or the operator profile identified in Settings > General > About

Yet a couple more questions:

Have you since tried to see if your old phone - or any phone for that matter - can receive incoming calls while in Angola? That might help to track down where the issue lies.

Is this a company-issued phone or your personal? Has it been provisioned for enterprise deployment?

Can you check in Settings > General > Profile and tell me if you have any certificates / config profiles there?

Jul 27, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Alfred,

Find attached a screen dump showing the PRL line right under version where the carrier data should be.

I have no old UK phones here with me which would take my current SIM but other colleagues from the UK some of which are with EE receive calls ok. This has never happened before when I had the old phone and as mentioned before, apart from using new 5S which worked okay prior to arriving nothing has changed (same provider, same work location, same carrier in Angola etc.).......which makes things all the more strange.

My phone is a personal one and not company issued.

When going into Settings>General I do not have a Profile line to select under General. Is this normal?

User uploaded file

Jul 27, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Belgar Lad

Ok, I think we're getting somewhere. PRL refers to the Preferred Roaming List. From what I've read, normally, this doesn't need to be updated manually on GSM phones however, it seems iPhone running on CDMA operators sometimes require it. I don't understand why your phone is even showing this.

All of that means I am almost certain this is an issue with your operator profile. Maybe it didn't load properly - I don't know - but seems that is where the trouble may be.

I would suggest you either address this with them or restore the iPhone as new. I'm afraid that restoring from a backup will reintroduce the problem. I don;t think there is a way to force a read of the profile except to maybe install a SIM from another operator. Again, maybe best to speak to your operator first.

Apr 14, 2016 12:40 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Hi, I know this post was from a while ago, but I'm having the exact same issue, including the PRL 1 phenomena in the Carrier field under GENERAL/ABOUT. I was wondering if you managed to solve your problem. Im using an iPhone 6, which I tried restoring to factory settings and setting up as new phone, then also restored from a recent backup, with no luck. Problems began a couple of weeks ago when I inserted a SIM card from a different carrier during a trip, which worked fine, but when I got back home, my phone wouldn't get back on my local cellular network. After one of the carrier's authorised representatives performed a reset or deleted some settings, everything working fine, at least for a few days. Then all of a sudden it went back into to an persistent SEARCHING... mode without finding any carrier or network. During a second trip to the carrier's office, the rep did a basic reset and also inserted a brand new sim card. Again, everything worked fine for about two days, but this morning the problem resurfaced. It does detect that a SIM card is installed, but its as if the network were down (which it ain't). Thanks for any help!

I cannot receive incoming calls on my iphone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.