Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary”

I am getting this message when i click on photos on my macbook pro:

Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary”

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2017 1:44 PM

If you didn't have any photos in your library just launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new library and start over with a new library in your Pictures folder.

WARNING: a Photos library can't be run from a NAS server. The format and file permissions for an NAS server is not compatible with the complex file and hard link ecosystem of a Photos or iPhoto library. A Photos library must be located on a volume that is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with Ownership set to be ignored and connected directly to the Mac via USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt cable.

User uploaded file

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2017 1:44 PM in response to azTony

If you didn't have any photos in your library just launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new library and start over with a new library in your Pictures folder.

WARNING: a Photos library can't be run from a NAS server. The format and file permissions for an NAS server is not compatible with the complex file and hard link ecosystem of a Photos or iPhoto library. A Photos library must be located on a volume that is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with Ownership set to be ignored and connected directly to the Mac via USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt cable.

User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2017 1:32 PM in response to Claymont2529

I have the same problem. I have a new MacBook Pro but have no photos on it yet. When I was trying to mov e photos from one NAS to a new NAS it was trying to put all the photos in the library and I did not want 47000+ photos in my library.

at any rate I just want to put the system back in place. Is there a folder it is looking for that I could create?

Jan 19, 2017 2:08 PM in response to azTony

When I was trying to move photos from one NAS to a new NAS

Are you talking about the Photos library? If so then that is your problem - the Photos library can not be on any NAS - it must be on a local drive formatted Mc OS extended (journaled), connected with a fast wired connection and not used as a TimeMachine backup volume

And the rest of your post makes no sense and needs to be restated clearly

LN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.