Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sshd only works on local network

I'm having a little problem on my Mac mini with OS X Server Yosemite. The sshd server will allow me to connect to the machine from my local network but not remotely. Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:

1. Server is behind an Airport Extreme connected to a cable modem. Server has a static IP. Airport uses port forwarding. Server is configured for DNS on the server itself (with a FQDN) and has an Open Directory master, but DHCP is handled by the Airport.

2. The server has other services that are available remotely: VPN, website, mail, etc. So, port forwarding for those services is working.

3. If I forward port 22 (or, let's say, 22222 to 22) to another machine on my network, SSH magically works remotely with the other machine. So, I know that my ISP is not somehow blocking port 22 or ssh connections.

4. When I run both the ssh client and the sshd server in verbose and debug modes, the client simply stops at "connect to address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: operation timed out." The server never shows any debug lines while I try to connect remotely (meaning, it never shows that a connection is even being attempted). When I try to connect from within my local network, I can connect without any problems.

5. There are no other services or applications usurping port 22 for SSH or other connections.

6. I don't have a firewall turned on on the server (nor anywhere else in the network).

7. I have already tried a hard reset of the Airport Extreme and reconfigured port forwarding.

I don't know what the problem is. I used to be able to connect remotely via ssh. I can connect locally now, and I can connect remotely if I port forward ssh to a different computer on the local network. Since I can connect locally, I feel like the problem is not with the sshd_config or something else related to the ssh server. But since the server doesn't even acknowledge a remote request to connect via ssh, I am wondering if there is a (software) network configuration problem somewhere on the server wherein it simply refuses to route remote ssh requests. I know it's not a blanket refusal, since my other services are reachable remotely.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 3:12 AM

4 replies

sshd only works on local network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.