Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Video Card can I put in my 2009 Mac Pro on 10.7.5 for 27 Cinema Display?

So I have a 2009 Nahalem 4,1 Mac Pro Desktop running Lion 10.7.5

Just picked up a great condition 27 Apple Cinema Display but it seems it lags on the old GeForce 120 when Im doing scrolling heavy or sometimes on the counter clock in Pro Tools doing audio editing. Not cool if you follow that beat clock.

I just bought this thing yesterday to replace an older smaller Apple display but am contemplating on selling it if I cant find a video card option that is not super expensive that is compatible with this machine.

Im not updating to Mountain Lion and above. I have too mnay 3rd party plugins without licenses I cant afford to lose that I use daily. And its solid on Lion 10.7.5

Until I have money for a new machine which I do not need as this works great so basically not until necessary, there has got to be a good solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance?

Oh I looked at the Sapphire 7950 but I see too many issues with that card and I need something that has Mini Display Port so the GTX 660 is probably out to based on black screen issues Ive been reading about.

Thanks guys! Appreciate it

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 5:56 AM

6 replies

Jul 25, 2015 8:21 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks but I have seen all of these links.

And as I mentioned Im running 10.7.5

The 7950 will most likely work but,,not sure if Im trying to spend that much for that card right now.

Plus Im not doing video work

The other 2 links do not tell me anything but info I already know. but thanks for the effort

Appreciated either way

Jul 25, 2015 11:40 AM in response to cF927

7950 does not really "work" it just sits there lacking drivers in Lion. A 5870 (flash PC, and flashing an AMD 79xx also to cut costs)..

The reason to look at threads "that you know already" is MacVidCards may have done the work and have flashed working cards, and threads on MacRumors because they stay updated and have latest ideas.

You may need to look at just how well Pro tools and Lion works, and also those licenses and "upgrading."

Jul 25, 2015 12:44 PM in response to The hatter

Pro Tools and Lion work great. Rock solid. Ive been using it for a while now. Never had any issues. Not a newbie to tech stuff Audio wise just when it comes to computers I need advice from time to time as I do not keep up with the Beast. If you do that you go broke.

And if ti aint broke dont fix it.

Thats why I am just no getting a 27 inch monitor. My eyes cant handle the smaller monitor anymore and editing either.

It's also a video card issue because Ive done more research and on pro tools forums everyone seems to say the same about the gt120 being junk with bigger monitors.

the question is if I should actually get the 5770 or a 5870 and the major differences since Im only doing audio work

What Video Card can I put in my 2009 Mac Pro on 10.7.5 for 27 Cinema Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.