Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no sound with dvi jack to HDMI

Hi there

I have an early Mac Pro from 2008 which I have connected to my Sony Bravia. The cable I'm using is a dvi+Jack to HDMI (it looks like this http://www.bilder.delock.de/produkte/orig/0d4ddc4122e385fc0c73879780da88ad.jpg)

The problem is that I get a Picture on the tv but there is no sound .. I've tried to change the output source/devices, so it's the "Line out" that's selected, I've tried to change the different modes on the MDI configuration, but no matter what I do there comes no sound.

I've tried the cable on a PC and that Works fine ..

So, are there anyone out there whom has an idea !

best regards

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 3:53 AM

3 replies

Jul 27, 2015 9:56 AM in response to truttafisker

yes-it may depend on your adapter and your video card. If you have an nViida 8800GT it doesn't support audio out via dvi.looks like the ATI 5770 may not do that either. You may need a DVI+Digital Coax/toslink to HDMI box or one that does stereo audio (L-R rca plugs)+DVI to HDMI. It might be your Mac pro also. Check to see if it supports HDMI audio output. Hold down option key, then click on the Apple, then system information, Choose "audio" from hardware menu, and look for HDMI output/HDMI displayport output, or something like that. If it doesn't go with the box. I don't think a simple cable will do it here.

your PC and its video card may support it, but the mac doesn't as far as I know

good luck

JB

Jul 29, 2015 5:14 AM in response to truttafisker

I occasionally use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kanex-iAdapt-DisplayPort-Adapter-Toslink/dp/B0031QH1BG but I believe Kanex themselves have stopped making it. This adapter takes the standard line out (actually in the form of the TOS-Link) from the Mac and merges it with the equivalent of a DVI signal to produce a true HDMI digital combined audio and video signal which a TV will accept.

The cable you showed a picture of does not appear to be doing this, rather it merely is a cable containing separately the line out and DVI and at the HDMI end they remain separate hence as you see in the picture a mini-jack also at the HDMI end. This means the TV needs to use the digital HDMI for the video and also support receiving the analogue audio via the mini-jack. Some but not all TVs support this, even those TVs that support this may only do so on one HDMI port and not all of them. (If they have multiple HDMI ports.)

With your cable you would definitely need to set your Mac to output audio via the line-out connection. You may either have to adjust a setting on your TV or use a different HDMI socket as referred to about or it maybe your TV cannot use both HDMI and mini-jack connections at the same time.

no sound with dvi jack to HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.