Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please Help Restore my Time Capsule's SSID

I need help with restoring the SSID to my Time Capsule. It was ‘hidden’ off by an ATT tech trying to upgrade my DSL service to uVerse. The uVerse install failed and we are being returned to DSL service.

An ATT tech was out yesterday and tried to reverse what the uVerse tech did. She got the ATT modem connected and then tried to connect the TC to the ATT Modem, but she wasn't very Mac savvy and didn't know what to do. In the Utility, the TC WiFi said that the SSID could not be identified.

To get us working temporarily, the ATT tech hooked up an ATT router, so I can connect via WiFi and get some work done. However, I had a network in the house with another AEBS to extend the range of the TC, printers, etc, and none of that is now hooked up.

Prior to this fiasco, I had just an ATT Modem, and that was connected to my TC, which served as my router. I'd like to return to using a TC as my router once we hopefully return the SSID to it, as I just trust Apple equipment more. ATT said once I (or they) figure out the problem with the TC, they will either just give me a standard Modem or turn the WiFi off in the router that they hooked up yesterday.

With these clarifications to my original posting:

1. How to you make the SSID not 'hidden', so the TC can be identified? OR, can you not reverse that????

2. I'm tempted to hit the reset button on the back, but haven't. If I do press the reset......

A) Will I lose all the back-ups on it? I may need the back-ups, too, since the original ATT tech messed with other settings to try to get the network to work and especially a Xerox printer on the network.

B) Will it render the TC to a default position, and then I'd have to enter all the settings again (which, of course, I'm not too sure of), name the network, etc?

3. I did just order a new TC, just in case I cannot get the existing one working properly. I would like to, however, be able to grab a back-up (see 2A). If the SSID cannot be fixed, can I still use the TC to get a back-up off it it or will it not be recognized by the computers? How would I do that if the TC is not connected on the network/wifi? I ask because I may need to return the computers (2 computers are backed up on the TC) to the day before the techs played around with things.

I'm hoping someone out there can help. Please and thank you.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 4:24 PM

2. I'm tempted to hit the reset button on the back, but haven't. If I do press the reset......

A) Will I lose all the back-ups on it? I may need the back-ups, too, since the original ATT tech messed with other settings to try to get the network to work and especially a Xerox printer on the network.

B) Will it render the TC to a default position, and then I'd have to enter all the settings again (which, of course, I'm not too sure of), name the network, etc?

This is the best way to handle it.

A. You will lose nothing on the hard disk. A reset merely takes the router part of the settings back to default.

You will also have to reset anyway.. It is part of any install where major changes happen.

B. Yes, you will have to enter the settings again.. the old settings are wrong anyway.. so it is better to start over.

However if you wish you can preserve the old settings.. you will of course need to plug into the TC by ethernet since wireless is messed up.

Open the airport utility and go to the export configuration.

User uploaded file

You can also attempt to regain access to the TC by wireless..

Once you connect by ethernet all the different configuration options are available.

User uploaded file

Simply click the TC in your airport utility.. click on edit.

Go to the wireless tab.

User uploaded file

Click on wireless options and change the setting from hidden back to normal. ie uncheck create a hidden network.. it should never be used.. and would not have helped in your situation anyway.

User uploaded file

But none of this will fix the issue of getting the TC to work with a whole new setup.. for which a full factory reset is still the best way forward. However you can go through each page of the setup and record the settings as they were and reproduce most of them in the new setup.. the difference might be that you need to run the TC in bridge now not router mode.

Start from a factory reset. No files are lost on the hard disk doing this.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2015 4:24 PM in response to Sandie Cohen

This is the best way to handle it.

A. You will lose nothing on the hard disk. A reset merely takes the router part of the settings back to default.

You will also have to reset anyway.. It is part of any install where major changes happen.

B. Yes, you will have to enter the settings again.. the old settings are wrong anyway.. so it is better to start over.

However if you wish you can preserve the old settings.. you will of course need to plug into the TC by ethernet since wireless is messed up.

Open the airport utility and go to the export configuration.

User uploaded file

You can also attempt to regain access to the TC by wireless..

Once you connect by ethernet all the different configuration options are available.

User uploaded file

Simply click the TC in your airport utility.. click on edit.

Go to the wireless tab.

User uploaded file

Click on wireless options and change the setting from hidden back to normal. ie uncheck create a hidden network.. it should never be used.. and would not have helped in your situation anyway.

User uploaded file

But none of this will fix the issue of getting the TC to work with a whole new setup.. for which a full factory reset is still the best way forward. However you can go through each page of the setup and record the settings as they were and reproduce most of them in the new setup.. the difference might be that you need to run the TC in bridge now not router mode.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Jul 27, 2015 3:00 PM in response to LaPastenague

It worked! I'm up and running. Thanks so much.....And.....Now.....since you know way more than I do, perhaps you can answer the following questions:

1. I want to upgrade my TC, and am not sure if I should get a 2TB or a 3TB. My existing TC is an older 1TB, circa 2008, (MB277LL/A). It is currently backing up a 500GB iMac and a 1TB MacBook Pro. What is your recommendation?

2. Once I get the new TC, can I transfer the back-ups on my 'old' TC? Should I do that? Or, can I just hang onto the 'old' TC and reconnect it in the unlikely scenario that I need a back-up from it?

3. My current set up is as follows:

Family Room Side of House:

ATT DSL Westell 6200 Modem.

'08 TC connected to Modem via Ethernet Cable to WAN

Ethernet cable from 08 TC LAN to Netgear Hard-Wired Ethernet Connector (NHWEC).

Bedroom Side of House:

NHWEC with Ethernet Cable to WAN of an Airport Express Base Station, circa 2007 (MA073LL/A)

4. NEW set up desired:

Family Room Side of the House:

ATT 7550 DSL Modem/ROUTER.

NEW 2TB or 3TB TC

Ethernet to NHWEC

Bedroom Side of the House:

NHWEC to Ethernet Cable to Wan of NEW AEBS, Model A1521

After determining if I could or should transfer the existing backups from the 'old' TC, how do I replace the new TC and a newer AEBS with the old ones successfully? Can I use the same Network Names, Passwords, etc? I have an iPhone, iPad, and BlueRay Players that connect to the WiFi and though I can change all of these to a new Network name, it would be easier to keep all that as it is now.

IMPORTANT: Since ATT's new equipment is a also a Router and I think that using the technology in the Apple TC and AEBS is better, do I need to 'hide' the WiFi in the ATT Router so that the computers don't get 'confused' and look for that Network, too? And, if I do need to hide it, when, exactly, do I do that in the set up process.

I know there are many questions here, but I also know that for you (not me!) the solutions are easy, as I've seen some of your other postings over the years. THANK YOU SO MUCH for any assistance you can provide.

Jul 27, 2015 6:59 PM in response to Sandie Cohen

1. I want to upgrade my TC, and am not sure if I should get a 2TB or a 3TB. My existing TC is an older 1TB, circa 2008, (MB277LL/A). It is currently backing up a 500GB iMac and a 1TB MacBook Pro. What is your recommendation?

It is time for a new device..

Personally I feel the latest TC is less than great.. It might work well for you but IMHO it is well short of the mark in reliability and functionality.

I recently moved onto a Synology NAS.. it is more reliable, much faster, and although it costs more, a far more flexible device. You will of course need a router if the TC is still doing that.. and you can buy an airport extreme if the concept of buying non-apple bothers you.

An alternative that is fairly simple to setup.. is to use an external hard disk on your iMac.. depending on age.. USB3 is ideal because it is cheap, reliable and fast. Much more so than doing network backups.. but you can also use it over the network for the MBP to backup. It will be faster still than a TC. If you have older iMac than 2012, then FW800 (or a Thunderbolt hub with USB3 for 2011 models) would be better than USB2.. anything however is still faster than TC.

2. Once I get the new TC, can I transfer the back-ups on my 'old' TC? Should I do that? Or, can I just hang onto the 'old' TC and reconnect it in the unlikely scenario that I need a back-up from it?

You can .. but should not.

Transfer TM backups..

Apple doco. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5097

Pondini doco http://pondini.org/TM/18.html

Hang onto the TC for a few months.. it is much better to start new backups.

The rest of your questions and setup depend largely on what you decide..

I personally would start over anew.. changing wireless setups for a few devices is a pain.. but IMHO the results are far better doing it that way.

If you insist on wanting everything as is.. the airport utility will supply an option of replace the existing unit.

So run through the setup.. it will pick what you don't want.. extend usually. Click other options.

User uploaded file

Select replace existing device instead.

User uploaded file

All the possible wireless and security settings etc will be transferred.. not all as there are changes.. but enough to continue to use things as before..

However this is not necessarily ideal.. especially since your main modem router has changed.

IMPORTANT: Since ATT's new equipment is a also a Router and I think that using the technology in the Apple TC and AEBS is better, do I need to 'hide' the WiFi in the ATT Router so that the computers don't get 'confused' and look for that Network, too? And, if I do need to hide it, when, exactly, do I do that in the set up process.

Many people ask this question.. Do not hide ever.. it is useless.

Turn off wireless in the ATT router.. it is usually an easily ticked box in the router GUI setup.

OR.. simply use different names.. there is absolutely no reason to turn off the ATT wireless.. it will do nothing.. it will have a different SSID (wireless name in applespeak) and no devices will get confused.. they will all join to the apple wireless network.

There is also a very good reason to keep using the ATT wireless.. when you do the setup of the new TC it should be in bridge.. in bridge the guest network is turned off for reasons only Apple can explain.. no man or beast could know the inner workings of the holy apple shrine. No other router does this.. so if you ever need a guest network the ATT one will substitute nicely..

Jul 28, 2015 11:57 AM in response to LaPastenague

1. I honestly prefer to stick with the Apple products, as I'm honestly not as tech savvy as I might seem! Really. So, 2TB or 3TB? Which do you think would serve my purposes better for my current equipment (1TB MBP and 500GB iMac)?

2. I will take your advice and A) not transfer the back-ups to the new TC and B) start from scratch, as opposed to allowing the new TC to grab the settings from the old one.

3. My current Apple Network name is AH NETWORK. Should I delete that before beginning the install? I'm thinking 'not', as this way I can always reconnect my old TC if I need it. My plan is to leave it and just call the new network AH NETWORK2015. Is this okay? Bad to do? Thoughts?

3. When I begin the installation and connect the new TC to the ATT Router....and then connect the new AEBS via Powerline to the TC....can you give me a step by step for the settings OR a good link?

4. When i set up what I have 7 years ago (YIKES), it was tedious and I don't remember all the settings. BUT, if memory serves me correct, both had everything the same, including "Create a Wireless Network", WITH THE EXCEPTION of the Router setting. The TC had DHCP and NAT, while the AEBS was "Bridge". Is this correct? I'm confused because you said the new TC should be in bridge.

5. How do I tell the TC to back up BOTH computers? Do I have to do something in the settings or will it automatically happen?

Thank you so much, AGAIN.

Jul 28, 2015 2:57 PM in response to Sandie Cohen

1. No problem with using Apple.. I do just wish it worked a bit better.

Your disk size in each computer is kind of irrelevant.. it is the amount of data.. but if each computer is running say half full.. or less.. that means you have less than 1TB of data.. a 2TB TC will work.. if both disks are near full then you have 1.5TB of data and I would go for the 3TB. Apple's price differential might make it better to simply buy a USB drive and plug it in.

(I just checked the Apple store and the price differential is $100, which is over expensive for a 2TB to 3TB drive upgrade.. which have a real world price difference of $30). If the 3TB is over expensive.. just buy the 2TB and later on you can plug in a 2-4TB USB drive.. although slower the USB drive is perfectly fine for backup over wireless.. safer too, as if the TC breaks down the backups are safe.. You can also use an Extreme with USB drive.. although I do prefer the TC when you use wired connections.

3. Make no changes to the old TC.. remove it after you take a screenshot of each tab in the setup.

For naming please see below.. modern OS work a lot better if you stick to naming rules that are used by microsoft.

3. (#2 .. 😁) Yes, we can help you do this.. when you start from scratch it is easy peasy. See below for the general outline but I can (or Bob Timmons) give more specifics.

4. Your new setup is different because the new modem is a router.. now both Apple routers will have exactly the same setup.. Instead of the TC being a router you will have the ATT modem as router.. so TC and Extreme will be bridge.. both will create a wireless network of the same name and same security. So this is not greatly different.. you have moved router functionality .. that is all.

5. The computers will automatically setup different backups.. there is no issues and you can leave that to TM to fix up.

This is the basic setup that I now recommend for Yosemite.. even if you don't use it yet.. this is simply good network practice. The key thing is naming.. and ipv6 setup.

Factory reset universal

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen5 for basestation and TCwifi wireless name.

If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense. But this can be tried in the second round. ie plan on a first and second round of changes to fix this.. hopefully.. I will point out other steps that can be round2.

2. Use all passwords that also comply with 1. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. If the TC is main router you can skip this point. This is only an issue when the TC is bridged.

Ensure the TC always takes the same IP address.. you will need to do this on the main router using dhcp reservation.. or a bit more complex setup using static IP in the TC. But this is important.. having IP drift all over the place when Yosemite cannot remember its own name for 5 min after a reboot makes for poor networking.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. but this change will mess up your TM backup.. so be prepared to do a new full backup. Sorry.. keep this one for second round if you want to avoid a new backup.

5. Mount the TC disk in the computer manually.

In Finder, Go, Connect to server from the top menu,

Type in SMB://192.168.0.254 (or whatever the TC ip is which you have now made static. As a router by default it is 10.0.1.1 and I encourage people to stick with that unless you know what you are doing).

You can use name.. SMB://TCgen5.local where you replace TCgen5 with your TC name.. local is the default domain of the TC and doesn't change.

However names are not so easy as IP address.. nor as reliable. At least not in Yosemite they aren't. The domain can also be an issue if you are not plugged or wireless directly to the TC.

6. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Do the same for ethernet if you use it.

User uploaded file

There is a lot more jiggery pokery you can try but the above is a good start.. if you find it still unreliable.. don't be surprised.

You might need to do some more work on the computer itself. eg Reset the PRAM.. has helped some people. Clean install of the OS is also helpful if you upgrade installed.

Tell us how you go.

Someone posted a solution.. See this thread.

Macbook can't find Time Capsule anymore

Start from the bottom and work up.. I have a list of good network practice changes but I have avoided Yosemites bug heaven.

Yosemite has serious DNS bug in the networking application.. here is the lets say more arcane method of fixing it by doing a network transplant from mavericks.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-yo u-can-do-to-fix-it/

Jul 29, 2015 5:47 PM in response to LaPastenague

Okay. Whew. It all seemed so techy to me, so I decided to take a day to digest it all and ask a few more questions, if I might, before actually trying to pull this off at my end. Of NOTE, Bob Timmons was a huge help to me in 2010 in getting the older TC and AEBS set up!!! I still have a printout of his comments, though, as you say, things have changed.

In any event, here are my thoughts and humble requests:

1 The ATT Router is 'n' and the TC and AEBS are a/c, so should I still put the TC and AEBS in bridge OR would it be best to turn the WiFi off on the ATT Router and not put the TC on bridge (but the extended AEBS on bridge)?

2. If the TC is new, do I still need to 'start from a factory reset'?

3. Is it possible for you or Bob to give me a blow by blow for the install, including all of the settings? Bob did that for me last time and it was magic.

4. As an aside, should the 'Wireless Security' in the wireless tab toe WPA2 or WEP and WPA?

5. As recommended, I am going to start anew and not use the utility to replace the existing unit, as you have suggested

6. You recommended 'turning off the wireless in the ATT Router'. Yes? It wasn't clear to me if you think I should do that (see #1), BUT, if I do that, wouldn't the TC NOT be in 'bridge' and the AEBS in 'bridge'?

7. I do not understand: "If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghzz with fixed channels" Please explain.

8. The entire verbiage (#3) that begins with "if the TC is main router you can skip this point......" is way, way over my head. Can you make it easier to understand?

9. DItto #5 above. No clue.

I'd like to finally get all this going on Friday. I've taken the day off to try to do this, so if you and/or Bob can address the above and give me a cheat sheet to make this happen, that would be terrific. I'm very respectful of all of your time and expertise, and I thank you so much.

Sandie

Jul 29, 2015 11:47 PM in response to Sandie Cohen

1 The ATT Router is 'n' and the TC and AEBS are a/c, so should I still put the TC and AEBS in bridge OR would it be best to turn the WiFi off on the ATT Router and not put the TC on bridge (but the extended AEBS on bridge)?

You are worrying about something that is irrelevant to your setup.

The ATT router can be left alone.. nothing in its setup is wrong.. you only need to bridge the TC and setup wireless.. nothing else..

2. If the TC is new, do I still need to 'start from a factory reset'?

It is 10sec task.. and always good practice.. really worth it.

3. Is it possible for you or Bob to give me a blow by blow for the install, including all of the settings? Bob did that for me last time and it was magic.

Sure.. this is stock standard setup.

Forget the AEBS to start with.

1. Do factory reset. (instructions in previous post) You can do this right now.. no connections except power.

2. Plug the WAN port of the TC by ethernet into any LAN port of the ATT router.

3. Make sure the computer is close enough to pick up wireless signal or use iOS version utility on ipad for instance.. it often works better.

4. Start the airport utility.

5. Click on other wifi devices (1) in the top left corner.

User uploaded file

6. The setup wizard will start. Fill in the details.. base station name.. wireless name (network name here).. all short no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

User uploaded file

With all the other airports turned off it should select the right settings.. ie to create a network. If it is wrong click on options and choose create a network.

That is about all there is to it. Go next and then update...

7. Check the settings are correct by clicking edit in the airport utility once it is working.

User uploaded file

Go to the Internet tab .. it should show dhcp.

User uploaded file

Go to the network tab.. it should show bridge.

User uploaded file

If both those are correct then you have a working TC.

8. Now turn on the AEBS in the same room as the TC.. only power connection .. you are going to extend wireless and the airport utility will automagically select that option. (my names are of course different.. but it should say something like what this shows.. ).

User uploaded file

All you need to do now is fix up the base station name.. make it short, no spaces pure alphanumeric.. not the sludge it automatically offers you.. do not allow automatic naming.. pick your own sensible name.. ie AEgen6.

Then click next and update.. this is easy once you have the TC working.

If you run into trouble give us screenshots from the computer or ipad that you are doing airport utility setup on.

Jul 29, 2015 11:54 PM in response to Sandie Cohen

4. As an aside, should the 'Wireless Security' in the wireless tab toe WPA2 or WEP and WPA?

It will auto select WPA2 personal.. use nothing else.

6. You recommended 'turning off the wireless in the ATT Router'. Yes? It wasn't clear to me if you think I should do that (see #1), BUT, if I do that, wouldn't the TC NOT be in 'bridge' and the AEBS in 'bridge'?

Ignore my comments.. it is too hard for you and irrelevant.. the ATT router can run wireless.. so can the TC.. it is not an issue at all.

Turning off wireless is unrelated to bridge.. they are irrelevant.. put it out of your mind. Simply use the TC and AEBS wireless .. and ignore the ATT..

7. I do not understand: "If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghzz with fixed channels" Please explain.

Ignore this comment.. it is for issues in setup where Yosemite doesn't work.. you can look at it later if needed. Sorry I used a standard configuration.

Same for your point 8. THis is for when you get into trouble which will come later. Yosemite is a dog. Mavericks almost as bad.. For your setup ignore it unless you have issues.

Same for your point 9. This is again for poor Yosemite networking where TM has issues.. ignore it..

These points are important for troubleshooting a system that is setup but not reliable.. you are still not setup.. so do the steps exactly as the post above..

Aug 6, 2015 6:50 PM in response to LaPastenague

I had tried that and I ended up calling Apple Tech Support, as I thought I might just have a defective TC. The Tech tried, too, and after several attempts, decided to configure it through my iPad. That worked. Here are my new questions (sorry). If you need screenshots, just let me know.

CONNECTION TO DATE:

IN FAMILY ROOM:

AT&T Router to TC.

TC Ethernet to Powerline Ethernet Adapter

TC Ethernet to iMac Ethernet port

WiFi turned on on iMac

ON BEDROOM SIDE:

Powerline Ethernet Adapter....Ethernet to AEBS

Ethernet out of AEBS to (old) PowerMac G5 Ethernet Port

WiFi turned on on PowerMacG5

AT&T Router: No changes. Has own Name and Password. Nothing is using its WiFi at the moment. Only Ethernet out to TC.

Time Capsule:

1. Not in Bridge mode. Network Tab is DHCP and NAT. Should I change this? Apple Tech said this is how it should be, but I'm not convinced.

2. In Wireless Options: Should 5Ghz be checked? 2.4 and 5 Channels are 'Automatic'...is that correct?

3. Net Options: DHCP Lease is 1 (old TC had '4')

4. Internet Options: iPv6 is "Native". You mentioned "Link-Only" (also for Ethernet) and I don't see that anywhere. Ditto on AEBS.

AEBS

1. Wireless: Network Mode is "extend a wireless network'. Wrong?

2. Wireless Option: Again, should 5Ghz be checked?

3. In Bridge Mode (Greyed)

Also....All seems to be working. Printers printing on the network and WiFi on both sides of the house.

But, regarding the Bedroom Side, I'm having trouble with the internet connection on the older G5. Any ideas as to what could we wrong? Connection?

Thank you!!!!!!

Aug 6, 2015 11:56 PM in response to Sandie Cohen

1. Not in Bridge mode. Network Tab is DHCP and NAT. Should I change this? Apple Tech said this is how it should be, but I'm not convinced.

Your TC should show double NAT issues.. You had to choose to ignore this fault to get a green LED. Apple seems satisfied that half good is good enough.. from any network expert double NAT is not good enough.. it will always have consequences.. sites will fail to open.. interactive stuff on the internet will not work.. games will not play.. loads of stuff. (See below as it can depend on IPv6 setup.. although it is still wrong.. maybe it is less wrong than it used to be).

Apple have decided it is too hard to get the TC in the right mode so adopted this wrong setup instead. It half works..

2. In Wireless Options: Should 5Ghz be checked? 2.4 and 5 Channels are 'Automatic'...is that correct?

All fine.. if you check the 5ghz it will need a different name.. for most people they leave naming to automatic.. and channels to automatic. for most people it is correct.

3. Net Options: DHCP Lease is 1 (old TC had '4')

Makes no difference.

4. Internet Options: iPv6 is "Native". You mentioned "Link-Only" (also for Ethernet) and I don't see that anywhere. Ditto on AEBS.

This is mainly set on the computer.. not on the Airports. open your network preferences.. and fix it up there.

The screenshot in the post above is from the computer.. not the Airport.

However as with everything Yosemite has added one function which you may now see.. because you have the TC in the wrong mode..

You might not see this option in any other airport utility.. it is not in mine.. only Yosemite with the latest version AU.

User uploaded file

Uncheck this if it is checked.. but it is only going to appear if the TC is in full router mode.. ie DHCP and NAT. which is wrong. So take your pick.. fix the TC back to bridge as it is supposed to be.. in which case this option will not be available (it is irrelevant in bridge).

To some extent it might depend on ATT .. are they using IPv6 yet.. if so perhaps it will help.. and perhaps apple is right.. It all depends.

1. Wireless: Network Mode is "extend a wireless network'. Wrong?

Very wrong.. and network killer..

hence..

But, regarding the Bedroom Side, I'm having trouble with the internet connection on the older G5. Any ideas as to what could we wrong? Connection?

You have two choices.. extend wireless.. in which case unplug the ethernet connection..

OR

Use the ethernet over the powerline adapter.. and set the wireless to create a wireless network. Same name and same security as the main TC.

They are two entirely different network setups.. you are trying to use both at once. Extend wireless works if the signal is good and therefore you didn't really need the AEBS anyway.. The other method is called roaming where you have two wireless AP using the same names and same security.

2. Wireless Option: Again, should 5Ghz be checked?

Not relevant.. leave it on auto unless you want to force connections to 5ghz.. it also depends on your answer to the previous question.. if you extend wireless you cannot really change this.. only if you use roaming network will it change.

3. In Bridge Mode (Greyed)

When you choose extend wireless it will grey out.. because it has to be bridge.. nothing else works.

Aug 7, 2015 8:12 PM in response to LaPastenague

Whew. So many hours trying to get this to work! And, you, have been right there with me!! Thanks ;-)

Here's what I did and what I have now:

1. BOTH TC and AEBS are in Bridge Mode.

2. BOTH are now "Create a Wireless Network", with the same "Wireless Network Name" and Password.

3. "Block incoming iPv6 connections" is unchecked on the TC. I don't see it on the AEBS.

4. Left 5Ghz in Wireless Option unchecked.

5. TC and AEBS do NOT show Double Nat. TC did before the changes.

6. Changed to 'Link-Only' in Network prefs.

I had some issues with getting the AEBS reconfigured, but finally got it done. Also, problems with my new D-Link Powerline Adapters. They were working until I made all the changes and then, despite a reset, they stopped working. I connected my old Netgear Powerlines and they are working, but they are older and not as fast. I'll fiddle with the D-Links tomorrow, but if they don't work, I'll send them back and get the updated Netgear ones.

After all this, it seems to be working...>BUT, please, please let me know if anything else needs to be adjusted. I can send screenshots, but there are so many. Perhaps if you tell me which you'd like to make sure all is well?

Oh....quickly:

7. I always thought that a straight Ethernet connection to my iMac was better than wifi. If that is so, shall I run an Ethernet connection from the TC, located next to it....I think that is correct....or from the ATT Router, also very close by?

8. ATT Router: I've made no changes. The wifi still works. Just to confirm that that's okay. Or, should I go into the ATT settings and turn the wifi off? I think you said to just leave it, but I want to be sure.

9. AEBS: Wifi to old G5 working well. Ditto an Ethernet connection from the AEBS to the G5. Awesome!

YOU are definitely my Apple Guru ;-). We're getting close!! Thanks so much.

Please Help Restore my Time Capsule's SSID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.