Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What exactly is a 'refurbished' iPhone 6? Please help.

Basically I have a problem with my iphone 6 with the operating system. All the apps keep crahsing, phone keeps freezing etc. I have restored it and did every other possible way but still no luck. I rang apple and they said I am entitled for a replacement. However they told me I would recieve a Refurbished model. What exactly is it? Is it still brand new? Is it used? Is the actual exterior of the phone (screen ,glass, home button, side buttons, actual aluminium etc) brand new except for the parts inside? Is it worth replacing my iPhone 6 with a refurbished model?

Please help it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, i have the latest software

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 5:48 AM

13 replies

Jul 25, 2015 4:08 PM in response to chrissyb83

chrissyb83 wrote:

A couple of months after the iPhone 6 came out and I had replaced under warrenty. I was shocked it was called a 'refurbished phone'. To be honest as it was faulty from new and this was evidenced I expected a new one. Especially as under warranty.

Then apparently, you didn't actually read the warranty.

If it was faulty when you got it, you should have returned it right away. Within 14 days, you could have exchanged it for a new one.

Jul 25, 2015 6:09 AM in response to brabi248

The refurbished replacement Apple will provide will be indistinguishable from new. It will have gone through more quality testing than a device new off the assembly line. As I understand it, the housing, glass and battery are replaced. Look at it this way: many years ago, when cell phones were just starting to get sold, if something went wrong with your phone, you sent it back to the manufacturer to be repaired. And you waited. If you were lucky, your carrier might give you a loaner. After 4-6 weeks, you got your same phone back, with all the same scratches but repaired. Now, phones still get sent back to the manufacturer for repair, it probably takes weeks before that particular phone makes it to the front of the repair queue. But, instead of making you wait, you get the next completely repaired phone. In the case of an over the counter swap at a store, you don't even have to wait for shipping. And, as a bonus, you get the new housing, glass, and battery. Also, keep in mind that Apple is replacing like for like. You're giving them a used phone for repair; they're not going to give you a brand new one.

Yes, if you're having problems with your current phone and Apple is willing to replace it, why wouldn't you?

Jul 25, 2015 6:16 AM in response to brabi248

Refurbished means that the phone is not new but has been evaluated by Apple and any repairs that are necessary are performed to the unit and it is deemed 'like new'. The unit is completely returned to a factory fresh state.

So every the refurbished phone should perform exactly like a new phone in every way. It also comes with a warranty.

I have received several replacement iPhones from Apple and have never had an issue with any of them. They performed as like new in every way. The only thing that I ever had to do was occasionally update the software on the device.

If your current phone is not working properly, I would not hesitate to have the device replaced.

Jul 25, 2015 6:50 AM in response to brabi248

brabi248 wrote:

thanks for your reply. I undertand where you are coming from. Are they used phones? Arent they phones that were faulty before by other users? What I am trying to say is I pay good money for my iphone 6 and I dont want to get replaced by a used refurbished one as it is not my fault it is acting like this

Yes, they are used phones (just like yours) that have been refurbished so that they are indistinguishable from new and have been tested extensively. You are not taking a brand new phone to Apple to be repaired under warranty. You are taking a phone you have used (i.e. a used phone). This is all according to the terms of the warranty.

Unless you wear a hazmat suit, you touch other people's germs every day.

Jul 25, 2015 6:54 AM in response to brabi248

You are giving them your used iPhone that does not work properly and they will be giving you a used iPhone in return that does work properly.

You do not have a choice in the matter. This is how the warranty works.

You can choose to keep your used iPhone that does not work properly if you wish, or you can accept one that works properly via warranty.

Jul 25, 2015 6:59 PM in response to brabi248

WORD OF WARNING. HEED BEFORE PROCEEDING.

The refurbished phone you will receive is identical to the one you turned in, minus the defects that kept it from working and which warranted the replacement. In other words, you get factory-spec good hardware in exchange for your dodgy one. HOWEVER, the data contained therein is YOUR responsibility. The replacement phone will be an unactivated unit in totally blank state. All the stuff you have assiduously accumulated will be forever lost unless you take the necessary actions to save and restore it onto the new unit. See here: Transfer content from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device - Apple Support

Jul 26, 2015 12:40 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Actually I did read the warrenty. It's a long story however Apple kindly pushed me out of the 14days by telling me to go to my network and request a new sim and seek their advice and support for network issue. They promised new phone one this was complete. The 'new phone' didn't happen. It was a refurbished one despite every offer and promise being recorded.

May 18, 2016 6:40 PM in response to brabi248

From what I was told by Apple store staff, refurbished phones means:

1. Everything exterior is new

2. Battery is new

3. Other parts apart from the above two are used but thoroughly checked with the same standards as brand new phone.

If it's true, I would always prefer a refurbished phone than having my exact phone repaired because I get a brand new battery which is all that matters to me.

hope it helps.

May 19, 2016 5:38 AM in response to CFBDG

CFBDG wrote:

From what I was told by Apple store staff, refurbished phones means:

1. Everything exterior is new

2. Battery is new

3. Other parts apart from the above two are used but thoroughly checked with the same standards as brand new phone.

Hopefully, in the year since this thread was active and this same information was given, the OP has resolved their issue.

Best of luck.

What exactly is a 'refurbished' iPhone 6? Please help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.