Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export TC Configuration?

Can I export my 1TB TC configuration and import to a new 3TB?

Thanks,

Craig

iMac 24 + MacBook Air + MacBook Pro + TimeCapsule + iPhone + iPod + AppleTV, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 12:33 PM

On newer operating systems like Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion and Lion......."exporting" is easy. Unfortunately, "importing" is not easy at all .....involving a temporary Ethernet connection from your Mac to one of the LAN <--> ports on the new TC and a special "Contigure Other" setup involving the IP address of the new TC.

It would be much simpler and much faster if you used the option to "Replace an existing device". If you choose this option, all of the settings on the old TC will be automatically transferred to the new TC......and then the old TC will be reset back to factory default settings.

Another option that most users find just as easy and just as fast, if not more so, is to simply go ahead and set up a new configuration on the new Time Capsule. Having tried all 3 methods myself, setting up a new configuration is probably the simplest, easiest and fastest way to go for most users.

Up to you to decide how you want to proceed at this point.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Opus1161

On newer operating systems like Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion and Lion......."exporting" is easy. Unfortunately, "importing" is not easy at all .....involving a temporary Ethernet connection from your Mac to one of the LAN <--> ports on the new TC and a special "Contigure Other" setup involving the IP address of the new TC.

It would be much simpler and much faster if you used the option to "Replace an existing device". If you choose this option, all of the settings on the old TC will be automatically transferred to the new TC......and then the old TC will be reset back to factory default settings.

Another option that most users find just as easy and just as fast, if not more so, is to simply go ahead and set up a new configuration on the new Time Capsule. Having tried all 3 methods myself, setting up a new configuration is probably the simplest, easiest and fastest way to go for most users.

Up to you to decide how you want to proceed at this point.

Jul 26, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Opus1161

The "Replace" option will usually do a nice job of transferring the settings over from old Time Capsule to the new Time Capsule.

HCP Reservations and Timed Access / MAC Access Control settings should all transfer over OK.

Since there is no option to adjust the Radio Mode setting on the new Time Capsule, the new device will be setup using the factory default Radio Mode for the new Time Capsule, which is a compatible 802.11ac---802.11b/g/n setting.

Let us know how things go if and when you can.

Export TC Configuration?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.