Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote working except menu button and right directional button

I Am now unable to access my purchased content as the menu button isn't working and neither is the right directional

Apple TV

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 12:17 PM

1 reply

Jul 27, 2015 9:22 AM in response to Stevenmillar

Hello Stevenmillar,

It sounds like most of the buttons work on the Apple TV remote except for the Menu button and the right arrow button. I would use these steps to see if the buttons themselves aren't working, or if perhaps the Apple TV perhaps is not responding to the signal from the remote:

Troubleshooting the Apple Remote

Use a digital camera to test your Apple Remote

A digital camera or DV camera with an LCD display can be used to see if your Apple Remote is emitting a signal. You can use the built-in iSight camera or FaceTime HD camera on your MacBook or iMac computer. Infrared beams are invisible to the human eye, but most digital camera and video cameras use Charged-Coupled Device (CCD) chips or image sensors that are sensitive to infrared light.

To use an iSight or digital camera to test your Apple Remote, follow these steps:

1. Turn on the camera so you see a live picture through the LCD. If you are using an iSight or FaceTime HD camera, turn it on by opening the video preview window of iChat.
  2. Point your Apple Remote toward the lens of the camera.
  3. Press and hold the Menu button on the remote while looking at the LCD or the video preview window.
    • If you see a faint blinking light coming from the Apple Remote on the LCD or the video preview window, then the remote is working properly.

User uploaded file

• If you don't see any blinking light on the LCD or the video preview window, replace the battery in your Apple Remote and then test it again with your computer (see this article for instructions).

If you've replaced the Apple Remote battery but still don't see a blinking light in the video preview window, contact Apple technical support (1-800-APL-CARE in the U.S.) or take your Apple Remote to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) for service options.

If you are getting the flash when you press the buttons in the above test then I would start by restarting the Apple TV:

How to restart your Apple TV

On your Apple TV, go to Settings > General > Restart.

User uploaded file

Or unplug your Apple TV, wait 3 seconds, and plug it back in.

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Remote working except menu button and right directional button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.