Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble Logging in

I am having trouble logging in to my admin account on my MacBook Pro. When I turn on the computer it goes to the login screen where I can click on my admin account or choose guest account. I click on admin account and enter my password and then it will either freeze with the spinning wheel or a black screen will come up and go right back to where I can click on admin account or guest.

I have tried to safe boot but it still does the same thing. I tried disk repair and it says that the HD appears to be ok and I have done permissions repair. I also tried to reinstall Yosemite and the same problem occurs. I also tried to reset the NVRAM and that did not help.

I have a MacBook that is from 2009 and I am running Yosemite. Any suggestions on what to do so I can login to my admin account?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 11:04 AM

6 replies

Jul 25, 2015 11:58 AM in response to BigDawgEKU

There are several ways to back up a Mac that is not fully functional. You need an external hard drive or other storage device to hold the data.

1. Start up from the Recovery partition, from Internet Recovery, or from a local Time Machine backup volume (option key at startup.) Launch Disk Utility and follow the instructions in this support article, under “Instructions for backing up to an external hard disk via Disk Utility.” The article refers to starting up from a DVD, but the procedure in Recovery mode is the same. You don't need a DVD if you're running OS X 10.7 or later.

If you use FileVault 2, then you must first unlock the startup volume. Select its icon ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another disk icon, usually with the same name. Click the Unlock button in the toolbar. Enter your login password when prompted.

2. If Method 1 fails because of disk errors, then you may be able to salvage some of your files by copying them in the Finder. If you already have an external drive with OS X installed, start up from it. Otherwise, if you have Internet access, follow the instructions on this page to prepare the external drive and install OS X on it. You'll use the Recovery installer, rather than downloading it from the App Store.

3. If you have access to a working Mac, and both it and the non-working Mac have FireWire or Thunderbolt ports, start the non-working Mac in target disk mode. Use the working Mac to copy the data to another drive. This technique won't work with USB, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth.

4. If the internal drive of the non-working Mac is user-replaceable, remove it and mount it in an external enclosure or drive dock. Use another Mac to copy the data.

Trouble Logging in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.