Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos from iPhone 5S imported to iPhoto but not loading. Also didn't offer don't duplicate option. Don't use and don't want iCloud.

Photos from iPhone 5S imported to iPhoto but not loading. I use cable to connect them, and not on iCloud.

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 9:30 AM

8 replies

Jul 26, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your answer. I shut down iPhone for a few minutes then restarted. Mac - wanted to restart, iPhoto had same message as it has for several days - "Photos are being imported to the photo library. Please wait for import to complete. OK" Same message there if i click on ok, or try to close iPhoto. So I unmounted my iPhone. Then did a force quit to get iPhoto to shut down. Then shut down Mac for a couple of minutes then restarted it. Launched iPhoto as you suggested with Option key, it did open new library. Connected iPhone to Mac, it says Import 1741 photos (these are all on my iPhone, not just the new ones), clicked on that, a few did import then stopped at 1718 to import and spot next to Device place spun and spun. I clicked on the Import bar again and get the same "Photos are being imported message" as before. (Spinning stopped.)

Any chance it's unhappy that I haven't don't the latest download? I don't want Apple Music on my iPhone, very limited space remaining. And I want to get most of the recent pictures off it, trip+wedding. Suggestions?

Jul 26, 2015 8:19 PM in response to Old Toad

Problem description:

Trying to download pics from iPhone Photos to Mac iPhoto. Importing but not loading. Keep getting message “Photos are being imported…” for 3 days.

EtreCheck version: 2.2 (132)

Report generated 7/26/15, 8:07 PM

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) (Technical Specifications)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro9,2

1 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 227 - SN = 9G32005NBD3MB

Video Information: ℹ️

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Color LCD 1280 x 800

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10.3 (14D136) - Time since boot: 3:6:38

Disk Information: ℹ️

APPLE HDD ST500LM012 disk0 : (500.11 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

Macintosh HD (disk1) / : 498.88 GB (237.09 GB free)

Core Storage: disk0s2 499.25 GB Online

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS31N

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Thunderbolt Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️

/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] com.microsoft.VirtualPC.Networking (7.0.1) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.microsoft.VirtualPC.OSServices (7.0.1) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions

[not loaded] com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (2.6.0) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.SoundID.driver.SoundIDUpdate (1.0.5 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

Startup Items: ℹ️

VirtualPCOSServices: Path: /Library/StartupItems/VirtualPCOSServices

Startup items are obsolete in OS X Yosemite

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

apple-scc-20140711-122535 UNKNOWN (missing value)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.3.3.3 [Click for support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 18.0.0.209 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin1017265: Version: Unknown

Flash Player: Version: 18.0.0.209 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: Version: 12.3.6 [Click for support]

Scorch: Version: 5.2.5 [Click for support]

Silverlight: Version: 4.0.50401.0 [Click for support]

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

User internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

fbplugin_1_0_1: Version: Unknown [Click for support]

Unity Player: Version: UnityPlayer version 1.1.1 [Click for support]

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Flash Player [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV [Click for support]

Logitech Control Center [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

4% WindowServer

2% fontd

0% com.apple.WebKit.Plugin.64

0% iPhoto

0% taskgated

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

476 MB kernel_task

451 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent(3)

283 MB iPhoto

123 MB com.apple.WebKit.Plugin.64

106 MB Safari

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

169 MB Free RAM

3.83 GB Used RAM

0 B Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Jul 26, 2015, 04:58:46 PM Self test - passed

Jul 27, 2015 8:25 AM in response to vamn

You have none of the obvious things that can affect a Mac's performance. You should update the outdated startup items in red in the report.

Also if you don't already have a backup strategy in place you should get one in place. There are two types of hard drives: those that have crashed and those that will - eventually.

There have been a number of reports of iPhones not being recognized or unable to import into iPhoto since Yosemite.

A workaround and a fix for not getting the duplicate warning is to use Image Capture to download the photos from the phone to a folder on the Desktop. Import that folder into iPhoto by dragging it into the open iPhoto window or the iPhoto icon in the Dock.

I found that even if I didn't get the duplicate warning when importing with the camera connected via USB when I imported from a folder on the hard drive I would get the duplicate warning.

Jul 29, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your help. I did download the iPhone pics to desktop using Image Capture. (Neglected to put them in a folder, will deal with those.) The Photos are being imported message stayed, couldn't get rid of it. And have message that update downloads couldn't be done because iPhoto didn't shut down. So - I decided to call Apple, since there is obviously a problem. Looked at iPhoto again - and it's fixed. Pics that were imported did load. And I connected iPhone again and all photos are imported and loaded. And the pics I had added from my Canon camera are there. And all of the pictures from when I got digital camera are there. So it's fixed. No idea how that happened.

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried them, IC worked. I do wonder what happened and what fixed it. I trust my experience will be reported to Apple, you said there had been similar problems with Yosemite and all experiences should be reported.

Photos from iPhone 5S imported to iPhoto but not loading. Also didn't offer don't duplicate option. Don't use and don't want iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.