Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6: Recently my iPhone 6 does not gets charged when I connect my iPhone to the charging cable. There is a specific position in which I have to connect my iPhone for it to charge. I tried using different cables but no success? What can be done?

iPhone 6: Recently my iPhone 6 does not gets charged when I connect my iPhone to the charging cable. There is a specific position in which I have to connect my iPhone for it to charge. I tried using different cables but no success? What can be done?

This has been happening from the past two weeks and I dont understand why should I keep my iPhone in a specific position for it to get charged. Also the charging stops in between and the phone does not gets fully charged.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 9:48 AM

If it's happening with multiple cables its unlikelay that there is a short in a cable, but rather an issue with the charger port in the phone. Make an appointment at an Apple Store.

27 replies

Sep 1, 2015 5:58 AM in response to AJ397

You may have lost track of which cable is your original Apple OEM charging (8-pin, Lightning) cable. Other vendors' "certified" cables can look identical.

With the new iOS 8.4x updates Apple has apparently, abruptly tightened their specs for cables. Suddenly people's cables working for months with iOS 8.x will not work right. You may get misleading advice on this issue, but Apple is being inconsistent and likely causing you this confusion, headache, and waste of time. Clear and complete info on this issue seems missing. You are simply forced to buy new cables. I will bet this advice is consistent with your experience (and the experience of many other users) seeing sudden cable failure soon after updating the device operating system software.

Sep 22, 2015 9:08 PM in response to RP01denver

It could be a build up of pocket link in the lightening/USB port. It recently happened to my iPhone 5. Out of the blue the Apple cable I have been using for 3 years started giving me a 'not Apple accessory" error on my phone, and I'd have to plug the lightening cable one side up as the other side would not work. There are a number of articles written about this issue. Would be nice if Apple addresses this problem with a simple sliding cover over the USB port.

Apr 3, 2016 2:42 PM in response to Armin Jahromi

I took my iPhone to Apple store and they cleaned out a bunch of pocket lint from the charging port. From that point onward, it worked fine. I searched eBay and found an Anti-dust plug set (item number 301918093395) and have been using it religiously since then - works like a charm! Make sure you get the port plugs with clip on storage cases. Good luck!

Apr 3, 2016 2:44 PM in response to RP01denver

I took my iPhone to Apple store and they cleaned out a bunch of pocket lint from the charging port. From that point onward, it worked fine. I searched eBay and found an Anti-dust plug set (item number 301918093395) and have been using it religiously since then - works like a charm! Make sure you get the port plugs with clip on storage cases. Good luck!

Jun 16, 2016 7:45 AM in response to RP01denver

I have had a similar problem many times and have always had success physically cleaning out the charging port. It is mostly pocket lint getting in the port and preventing a clean connection.

Today that did not work. I decided my problem was different. Having 9% battery I was able to restart my phone - it was immediately charging after reboot. (iPhone 6 iOS 9.3.2)

Jul 1, 2016 8:28 AM in response to RP01denver

I also have had this problem even with the new OS. It does not appear to be a power adaptor or cable problem as suggested by Apple - at least for me. As the problem got worse, I tried different outlets, power converters (from apple, i have several) and power cables (also from apple). It got so bad that even wiggling the power cord (from apple) failed in charging the phone. In frustration I powered down the phone and powered it back up. This solved my problem for about a week and then it started again. I have now temporarily solved the problem twice by a cold re-start on my iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.2.

It seems there may be an OS bug or something with the phone that is doing this and not a problem with the cable or charger - at least for me. Dear Apple, can you do more research on this beyond assuming this is a power cable or power converter issue?

Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.