Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes says that I'm not signed into Apple Music

Every now and then while I'm listening to Apple Music, the music will stop and a pop up will say that I need to sign into Apple Music in order to listen. How did I get signed out and how do I sign back in? Each time this has happened, I've confirmed that I'm signed into iTunes and eventually have to restart the app all together.

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 10:56 AM

56 replies

Sep 9, 2017 8:33 PM in response to JRichardHGreen

I have downloaded to albums on iTunes to be told I can't play them because I am not signed into Apple Music. So why did it let me download them. Will request a refund and off to spotify or somewhere less complicated.

You are replying to an older thread with perhaps a different issue.

iTunes and Apple Music are 2 seats systems.

If you describe your issue issue in more detail on a NEW thread, you may get some help.

Nov 29, 2017 7:53 AM in response to Leejay001

What I don't understand is why I need to sign into Apple Music to play songs I have burned to my library from CDs.

Apple Music tracks are fully DRM protected. You can't play them without being authenticated to iTunes.

You only have the right to listen to them during an active, paid subscription to Apple Music. It is not a $10 a month plan to buy unlimited music. It is a music streaming service that allows for offline listening in certain conditions. A paid subscription is one of them.

What happens if I cancel Apple music?

You lose access to the music.

Aug 1, 2015 7:21 AM in response to Tonyeezy

Click on your profile on top right side of the iTunes window (besides the search box), and go to 'Account Info'.

It should ask you for password. Enter it and in a few moments, you're able to access the Apple Music.

It's weirdly unnecessary, I know. I hope Apple can fix this in future updates.

Sep 15, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Krakozyabr

I had the same problem, it told me I wasn't signed in to Apple Music when trying to play a song. After trying to play some songs in my list, my music list changed to only my previously purchased music (none of my Apple Music songs were showing in my list). I tried logging in using the steps eiyu describes above, but my apple music list didn't come back.

Then I opened up Edit>Preferences>General, and saw that the 'iCloud Music Library' flag was turned off. I made sure it was enabled, closed the preferences, and my Apple Music list is now back and functioning again.

iTunes says that I'm not signed into Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.