Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have created a new App Store account but still have the same device and can't update apps downloaded on my old account

I Have just created a new app store account and when I want to update something it asks for the password for my old account, how do I change the account it was downloaded on?

iPad 2

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 12:07 PM

5 replies

Jul 25, 2015 1:02 PM in response to BL210

Downloads are forever tied to the AppleID used to download the items.

The only 2 ways to avoid being asked for the old password are:

1] use the old account - which you do not want to do; and

2] delete anything downloaded with the old AppleID and redownload with

the new AppleID. Be advised that any item that had to be purchased

originally will have to be re-purchased under the new AppleID.

You cannot merge items from multiple AppleIDs nor can you transfer

items from one AppleID to another.

tl;dr - you cannot change the account it was downloaded on.

Oct 7, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Peizoandme

Samething, my case is slightly different, Mi wife and I bought one macbook pro for her, then she registered her apple ID to the laptop, then few months later she wanted a MacBook Air, and we bought that laptop, I inherited the Macbook pro, and every time that there is updates for the software that came with the laptop (iPhoto, iMovie, etc) I have to ask her for the password. it is easy for me to ask my wife but it is always a hassle to keep asking her to give me her password to do updates on the computer...

Agree with the comment above that with all the sales that apple is making, they cannot spend sometime to provide a solution to this issue simple/small issue.

I have created a new App Store account but still have the same device and can't update apps downloaded on my old account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.