Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Key ("T") on MacBook Pro must be pushed hard to work in typing.

This isn't a sticking key, but rather one that feels about normal, but only actually types its letter hit or miss, and when it misses I have to restrike with more firmness. Will simply removing it and cleaning it, as described for sticking keys, fix this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 11:24 AM

You won't know unless you try it. Before going that route, see if using a vacuum hose works. One w/a brush attachment.

Other than doing the above, take your MBP to your local Apple Store or an APSP. Diagnostic testing is FREE!

User uploaded file

4 replies

Aug 25, 2015 7:16 PM in response to Owen Daly1

Modern keyboards no longer have discrete key switches. A rubber membrane over the entire keyboard give the resistance and "feel" of key presses. Inside, one or two plastic sheets with resistive film printed on them, one (or one side) rows, the other sheet (or other side) slightly diagonal "columns".

Pressing the key mashes the two films together, and changes the electrical characteristics (but does not make an electrical connection) at the crossover point between rows and columns. A microprocessor scans the connections and deduces what key(s) are pressed.

This is what that the sheet or sheets looks like:

User uploaded file

picture stolen from:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/File:Keyboard_membrane_1.jpg

The punchline is that if it does not improve with cleaning, there is really nothing repairable.

Aug 27, 2015 9:19 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

First to Yulius: I confess that I haven't actually tried cleaning under the key yet, but one reason for this is relevant to the informative post from Grant, which is that my 'T' key actually works, but only when the pressure hits the right-hand side of the key. Left-hand edge and nothing.... This suggests, of course, that a failure in the membrane is probably, thankfully, not the issue, but perhaps a piece of debris that is preventing the left side from making contact. I will try to address this today and report back. First the vacuum and then a little compressed air. Alternating. I've seen directions for removing the top key piece, but it looks tricker than on a normal stand-alone Apple keyboard, so I'm a bit reluctant to dig in there just yet.

Key ("T") on MacBook Pro must be pushed hard to work in typing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.