Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else have iOS 8.4 on iPhone 5 trying to use Music app, but it hangs?

- first it sits at a white screen

- then a Apple Music splash screen loads and then sits there forever (never loads playlists and my music)

Anyone else see this behavior?

Thanks

PS Did a full iPhone Restore and used latest backup, still hangs

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 11:43 AM

6 replies

Jul 25, 2015 12:48 PM in response to modular747

Wow, that's crap , I have to lose all my setting for all my apps because I can't delete and re-install Music.....

PS It looks like Music tries to access Apple servers even though no Apple ID is tied to the phone and all syncing is done via cable. Symptom is launch Music

then it's sitting at screen with "My Music" and "Playlists" nothing else showing, except in Status Bar where I see spinning Activity and other standard icons (if I put phone in Airplane Mode , Music launches immediately with every playlist showing instantly.

Jul 28, 2015 12:00 AM in response to ron_13

Did some more troubleshooting, it hangs due to no data network!

(if I had WIFI connected or a SIM card with data option it works fine)

Hello Apple, this should be considered a bug and fixed (the phone is smart enough to know when there is no network, why not add a little more and know there's no data network)

Jul 28, 2015 12:50 AM in response to ron_13

Hello Apple

Apple isn't here. This is a user-to-user forum and Apple doesn't read these posts.

this should be considered a bug and fixed (the phone is smart enough to know when there is no network,

Every iPhone with iOS 8.4 I've tried play music just fine when in Airplane Mode, with absolutely no connection to any network. There is a problem in your phone, not a bug in the iOS.

Sep 1, 2015 10:10 AM in response to ron_13

This worked for me on an iPhone 6.

1. Use Siri and tell her to "play all songs"
  2. When the music is playing, try and go into the music app
  3. You should get a message from iTunes music about using the service
  4. Select the not now (or similar, can't remember the exact wording)
  5. Splash screen goes away and you'll be in the regular music app now

From then on I haven't gotten stuck at the splash screen again.

Sep 10, 2015 7:38 AM in response to ron_13

This was happening to me, too, on my iPhone 6 after the update to iOS 8.4. Start the Music app, see the splash screen, see a bit of network activity, then the network activity stops and the splash screen just shows forever. Kill the app and restart, same thing. Reboot the phone, same thing.

This only happened to me when I was not on WiFi, and it may have been the first time I tried to use the Music app after the upgrade. I also have the "Use Cellular Data" option disabled under Settings | iTunes & App Store.

I was able to get back to my music using the technique detained below, but for some users it may represent a hardship due to their own uses of the application, etc. Here's what I did:

1. Go to Settings | Music and switch "Show Apple Music" off.

2. Re-start the Music app. I got right into my music.

Re-enabling the "Apple Music" setting above caused the Music app to hang again on the splash screen.

While writing-up this reply, I decided to play-around a bit. I re-enabled "Apple Music" from Settings, got on a WiFi network, and launched the Music app. I immediately got the "Sign up for Apple Music" screen after the splash screen. So it appears that the combination of "[Don't] Use Cellular Data" for iTunes and not being on a WiFi network causes the Music app to hang. Possible remedies are:

a. Enable "Use Cellular Data" under Settings | iTunes & App Store

b. Disable "Show Apple Music" under Settings | Music

c. Get on a WiFi network and decline the 30-day trial of Apple Music

At this point, even disabling WiFi and having "Show Apple Music" enabled allows the Music app to start right up, and I can play music as usual.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.