Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie won't work.....

Hello!

So for some reason when I open iMovie it just ends up being a white screen.... I NEED HELP PLEASE on how to fix this I tried logging in and out and re-opening iMovie and it doesn't work. I even tried logging into other user accounts on my mac to see if iMovie works, but i doesn't 😟.

I have the old mac computer the 2008 white macbook. I have mavericks on it. The things is, is that iMovie has worked BEFORE (like the new 10.10 version) but now for some reason it just doesn't work. I don't know if it's because of the mavericks software or what. I just need help on how to fix this.

Also when I press "create" on iMovie it shows the different themes, so that part works, but the rest of iMovie is just plain white.

Please Help

Thanks!

User uploaded file

MacBook, Old white macbook

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2015 11:32 AM

Hello sara2hip834,

It sounds like you've isolated this issue to more than one user account, where most of the iMovie window is blank. That tells me that the application needs to be deleted and reinstalled. This will not jeopardize any of your projects or media. First delete the app:

OS X Yosemite: Install, update, and uninstall apps

Apps downloaded from the Mac App Store: Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, hold down an app’s icon until all the icons begin to jiggle, then click an app’s delete button User uploaded file. If you later want the app, you can reinstall it from the Mac App Store.

If an icon doesn’t have a delete button, it can’t be uninstalled in Launchpad. For more information about Launchpad, see Use Launchpad to view and open apps.

Then restart your computer, and re download iMovie from the App Store.

Mac App Store: Finding your purchased apps

CLOS

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2015 11:32 AM in response to sara2hip834

Hello sara2hip834,

It sounds like you've isolated this issue to more than one user account, where most of the iMovie window is blank. That tells me that the application needs to be deleted and reinstalled. This will not jeopardize any of your projects or media. First delete the app:

Apps downloaded from the Mac App Store: Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, hold down an app’s icon until all the icons begin to jiggle, then click an app’s delete button User uploaded file. If you later want the app, you can reinstall it from the Mac App Store.

If an icon doesn’t have a delete button, it can’t be uninstalled in Launchpad. For more information about Launchpad, see Use Launchpad to view and open apps.

CLOS

Jul 27, 2015 2:19 PM in response to sterling r

Thank you for replying!! If I had waiting a couple days.... I actually Installed the OX Yosemite software to see if it would fix the iMovie from the white blank space and it actually fixed it!!! The only problem though is when I want to import a video or create a new project it will say an error (picture below). When I press the New + button it shows the projects and then it says where I would like to save it and when I press "ok" it says the error. Luckily before ( when the iMovie 10.0 used to work) I made a project and it was somehow saved... so right now I just deleted all of the stuff on the project and then added my own stuff. I need help on how to fix this issue because I don't know how to fix it.

User uploaded file

Jul 27, 2015 2:31 PM in response to sara2hip834

Thank you for the update. If the issue is happening on another user ( like you did for the previous issue ) then I would highly recommend deleting and reinstalling iMovie:

imovie won't work.....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.