Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carrier Settings Update - Advice please.

I'm getting this recurring pop-up message on my iPad: "Carrier Settings Update - New settings are available. Would you like to update them now?" The options are "Not Now" and "Update" I canceled my Verizon cellular service months ago. (That's another story.) Which option should I choose if I only plan to use my iPad for WiFi only? Do I need to disconnect the sim card to prevent Verizon from automatically activating cellular service for my iPad in the future? Is there anything I need to do in the iPad settings to make sure the cellular service is permanently disconnected?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 12:19 PM

4 replies

Aug 22, 2017 9:10 AM in response to InkaBinka

My ipad 4th generation has a problem. I already put a new sim card. Until now I don't have signal. It only say that No Service and Searching only. What should I do to this? Others says that i need to update my iOS. I already do it and nothing happens, the others also say you need to update your carrier settings need to update they teach how to update and there is no update at all. Help me please. Thank you!!

Jul 27, 2015 9:31 AM in response to InkaBinka

Greetings InkaBinka,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you plan to only use your iPad as a Wi-Fi device and no longer wish to use a cellular connection. The carrier settings update you are receiving is normal and if you have already canceled your cellular plan or it has expired, you do not need to be concerned with the update reestablishing your cellular service. More information about these updates can be found in the attached article below.

iOS: Updating your carrier settings - Apple Support

Cheers

Aug 6, 2015 1:44 PM in response to AppleJoe

Thank you for your help Joe and Alfred. I clicked on the pop-up message "Update Carrier Settings" when I awoke my iPad from sleep, three different times, and it seems to have finally stopped reappearing.

I have a follow-up question for either of you. Can I now safely remove my iPad's Verizon SIM card? The reason I feel the need to remove the SIM card is to disconnect Verizon's access to my iPad. I want to make sure they can't reconnect my cellular service again in the future without my permission. After being disillusioned with Verizon's billing & service methods, I want my iPad to remain WiFi only.

Thank you.

Carrier Settings Update - Advice please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.