Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant register my mac

i cant register my mac mini 2009, it keeps freezing whever i try

Mac mini

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 2:51 PM

6 replies

Jul 25, 2015 9:44 PM in response to elistix

Which operating system is installed in your computer, and why are you trying to re-register

and old computer? Can you start the computer in Safe mode and see if it can finish?

• Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

If you've installed an OS X version newer than 10.7.5, you may have to start in Recovery

so as to use OS X Utilities and see if the system can be repaired; or maybe reinstalled.

If the system installer is not correct for the computer there also may be issues.

• OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Do you have any original software on DVD such as the factory included Apple Hardware Test?

• Troubleshooting Mac OS X installation from CD or DVD - Apple Support

After a later OS X upgrade past the original software kit, sometimes the original DVD won't

be able to used as a startup disc; but that is another way to test & repair a system with issues

or reformat the hard drive when no other method is available. Newer OS X uses internet and

usually has an installed Recovery partition with localized tools on there.

Even though inconclusive, original AHT may not point to some problem in hardware; such as

a failing hard disk drive or other item coincidental to this problem you've had recently. The unit

may need a diagnostic test where a professional can use other tools to narrow this down some.

More information is necessary to try & research the cause of this problem. Details about the

configuration incl. hard drive capacity, total RAM installed, OS X system + step, & etc.

In any event...

Good luck in this matter! 😐

Jul 26, 2015 10:30 PM in response to elistix

I Managed to finally create an account and actually log in. The Mac was "factory reset" but I believe the hard drive, if there is one, is very full of who knows what. I received this because the school was upgrading so yeah "free Mac mini 2009 woo". Whenever I try to upgrade the os or do really anything, I get the pinwheel. And it's not just the "ohh wait a sec" pinwheel. when I get this pinwheel I have to manually reset the Mac. This is an every try thing too. I've probably reset this Mac 20 times today trying to update the os and trying to figure out how to clean my hd. I believe its running OS X but I honestly have no clue. This is my first Mac. And the first Mac I've ever ran

Jul 27, 2015 12:03 AM in response to elistix

The best bet would be to replace the hard drive with a new one, so some research into

what you have and the correct part would be necessary; then inquire about obtaining a

system restore-install DVD for that computer, perhaps from Apple care or support.

If the Mac Mini is a 2009 model, there are specs from two series from that year to consider.

One known as Early 2009 and the other Late 2009. Each group as certain builds and then

there also were CTO or built-to-order different editions that shipped from Apple as well. In

general, I've noted at least five builds across these two designations but there are more.

Sales order or marketing numbers are among identifiers beyond serial numbers, that one

may find, know, or learn about can help those interested in technical details in these units.

• How to identify Mac mini models - Apple Support

To correctly identify the computer (locate serial number) would be a first thing to do, so

that you could inquire of Apple to get the proper install DVD for that unit. Or at least be

able to discuss the possibilities, since as time goes forward, these things change a lot.

•Apple Mac Mini specifications - All Mac Mini Technical Specs - everymac:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/index-macmini.html

The ifixit.com site has repair guides that would be helpful regarding hardware update

or replacement. Also there is a battery on the logic board that may need replaced as

a matter of course, the clock or PRAM battery is expendable. Hard drives wear out.

And system install-restore media would be required one way or another to ready new

hard drives for use in a computer before installing new system software.

To correctly identify the computer will assist in every aspect of ownership, maintenance

and parts replacement, software update/upgrade potential, and accuracy in discussion.

•Mac Mini Repair guides - iFixit:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_Mini

There may be hardware problems. Worn/broke parts.

The original install disc set included a hardware test,

but not necessarily conclusive; the same disc set also

offered original system install w/ included applications.

A newer system would require related new apps, too.

To upgrade requires 10.6.8 to be running in the Mac

and it then has to access the online App Store to see

what if any system it could run. Some can/cannot.

If the computer has a damaged sector on the hard drive, or other issues, it won't upgrade

and the terms update and upgrade are not interchangeable. If the computer runs OK,

then it may (or not) be a candidate for an update, or maybe an upgrade to a later OS X.

Also depending on the complement of hardware inside, the unit may need more RAM to

be installed for a later OS X system to run adequately. Plus a system install restore DVD

so you can attempt to repair and restore function.

Given comparison study of your exact Mini against database specs, should identify what

you have precisely, and also open a course of action to take to restore its function. Since

it is too old for an Apple Store to repair, an Authorized Apple Service Provider could be

of help; since these trained independent repair and sales companies usually will be able

to provide repair and restore support to older & newer Macs the Store won't due to age or

other considerations. Expect to pay usual & customary fees, troubleshooting, labor & parts.

If the computer had been upgraded to a newer OS X than Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and that

may still be on the hard disk drive, you'd have to set up an account based on your Apple ID

in order to sustain the upgrade potential (if any) from the App Store in your name. You may

be able to see if you have a Lion 10.7.5 or Mt. Lion 10.8.5, or perhaps Mavericks 10.9 in

that computer hard drive, by attempting to boot the computer into Recovery mode. Yet the

old install-restore DVD for the computer, either grey-label or last supported retail DVD, is

an important aspect of setting up a computer that old to be ready for use &/or upgrade.

• OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

In order to start over with a replacement drive, you would need correct disk utilities to format

and ready a new drive for a new installation. Details are important, so I'm likely to forget them.

Depending on your location, country & region, the availability of replacement install restore

DVDs will vary. Depending on build year sales model, the options for system install discs

also vary; some may require original grey-label replacement when later version retail OS X

on DVD would not be available. You need at least Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installed before

you could attempt to upgrade to a later full OS X version from the App Store.

If you received official install-restore DVDs with the unit, as you should, please identify them

if they were provided. They would have part numbers and machine names, if grey. If retail,

the discs would say their version number, and build series.

So if you have specific questions about your precise model, answer back with exact info.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jul 27, 2015 1:33 AM in response to lllaass

Certain build models are shown to have shipped with

a version of Snow Leopard as their original OS X; so

if one has such a creature and the version is older than

a retail Snow Leopard available from the Apple Store,

then that disc would suffice instead of a 10.6 grey-label.

However if everymac info on those models is incorrect,

then someone should cross-check their database with

others, such as mactracker and apple sources.

If not for that possibility, I'd have posted the link to retail

Snow Leopard at the Apple Store online. So instead I

suggested the O.P. to contact Apple with serial number.

In any event... 😐

cant register my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.