Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6+ Photos "Background Activity" is using up my battery.

I have an iPhone 6+ with iOS 8.4 (the most current version) and 128GB of storage. Up until about 10 days ago I've been very pleased with the battery life. The phone used to easily make it a day and a half without a charge. Now I find that the battery can't make it through a day. The "Battery Usage" screen shows that it's Photos "Background Activity" that's using up the battery. I started being careful to not start Photos, but that didn't help. I also check from time to time (by double-hitting the home button) to make sure that Photos isn't running. It isn't. Last weekend I backed up and restored the iPhone. That didn't help. I'm out of ideas. Does anyone else have any?

User uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4, 128 GB memory

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 1:43 PM

6 replies

Jul 27, 2015 9:51 AM in response to DarkoGjakovski

Thanks for the response, Darko. That made sense and I tried it...but no joy. First, Photos doesn't appear in the list of apps for which you can turn off Background App Refresh. I turned off Background App Refresh entirely though. I did that over 24 hours ago and my phone is still draining its battery and the battery usage for the past 24 hours is showing "Photos Background Activity" as 80% of the battery usage.

I appreciate the idea...does anyone have any others?

Sep 19, 2015 7:45 AM in response to -nkr

After trying everything I found something that, so far, has worked.

So I backed up my Iphone then restored it (which I had done before with no success) but this time, instead of choosing the restore back up option on iTunes, I restored as new. I set the phone up again as if I had just bought it, re-downloaded my apps, and only synced things I deemed necessary back to the phone via icloud (apple music and contacts). I have not synced pictures and only have 2 in my photo library now that I took, but my battery is lasting all day like it did originally and the "Photos: background activity" section that was using 65% of my battery is now not even listed when I check the "battery Usage" section. Hope this helps. I know ive spent way more time trying to fix this than anyone should have too.

iPhone 6+ Photos "Background Activity" is using up my battery.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.