Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac fails to wake from sleep

My 2013 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 27" iMac, running Yosemite 10.10.4, fails to wake from sleep mode.

At first I thought this was a BlueTooth issue, so I replaced the wireless keyboard and mouse with a wired keyboard and wired mouse. That did not solve the problem. If I put the computer to "Sleep" I have to hard crash the power button to restart it. I tried zapping the Pram, and disconnecting all the external devices, and that did not help either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

mike

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 2:54 PM

5 replies

Jul 27, 2015 12:55 PM in response to old_mikee

Greetings Mike,

If you are having an issue with being unable to wake your iMac from sleep, I would suggest that you reset the System Management Controller on the iMac. Use the steps in this article - Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac.

Specifically -

On Mac Pro, iMac, Mac mini, and Xserve

To reset the SMC on Intel-based Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac mini computers, as well as Xserve:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well.

Jul 27, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Brett L

Thanks Brett, I have tried this before, and just tried it again! Unfortunately, this does nothing to solve the problem.....

Putting my iMac to sleep is akin to putting it in a coma! The only way to wake it up is by unplugging or holding the power button for ten seconds, hard crashing it, and then re-starting it using the power button again.

thanks for the offering though,

mike

Jul 28, 2015 11:49 AM in response to Brett L

Thanks Brett. I gave Apple a call this morning and talked with Chris. He had me create an Test Account but could not figure out the problem. He suggested I try reinstalling the operating system.

It's worth noting for anyone following this thread, that I inadvertently discovered that my computer actually does wake up from sleep. Unfortunately, it happens 2 to 3 minutes after the fact, and not instantly with a keyboard stroke or mouse command as it should..... Funny, Its similar to how I wake up in the morning, but I'm 70 and have every right to be slow! My computer is slightly over 3 years old, and doesn't!

I will do a reinstall of the OS......

thanks again,

mike

Aug 4, 2015 8:02 PM in response to old_mikee

Strangely I have the same iMac running the same OS, and the same problem.

The Energy settings are at default, but once my iMac takes a nap its near impossible to wake it up. After much key tapping, mouse clicking, and the odd button push, I usually get the home screen back.. but it can take well over a minute before it restores.

I have not encountered this problem in the past with any of my previous 14 Macs since OS 7.00

Not fatal, but pretty annoying, and I've tries all the resets including SMC,PRAM,Disk Utility etc... and its none have solved this problem.

I'm running 32GB of RAM with a fusion Drive and a 1TB HD.

iMac fails to wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.