Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a beautiful Mac Color Classic with a LC-520 motherboard in in. 32Mg RAM w/System 7.5.5. I want to get the very best web browser to get the ol' Gal on the Internet with little web page issues.

I do have MacWeb 2.0c, iCab 2.9.9, Netscape Nav 3.0.4, and IE 4.0.1.

While all of these can connect to the internet, none of them are really good at it.

Has ANYONE ever tried to write a "modern" web browser that will work with the old 68k Mac in 2015?

Thanks in advance.

Apple User 1980 - today 🙂

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 1:20 PM

1 reply

Jul 26, 2015 2:39 AM in response to Apple 2GS

At least the three latter web browsers above are going to be relatively slow when used with a 68030 machine running System 7.5.5, and all four will have various degrees of web page format/script problems. For speed, you may want to try browser settings without images, or a fully text-based alternative such as WannaBe (but with the same difficulties handling many/most pages). The technical limitations and the small market will make it less likely to expect a "modern" web browser for this and similar computers, but who knows? In the meantime, you may just have to direct the existing browsers to simple "classic-friendly" web pages, or possibly set up your own server (NetPresenz and MacHTTP are two examples that could run on an old Mac).

I have a beautiful Mac Color Classic with a LC-520 motherboard in in. 32Mg RAM w/System 7.5.5. I want to get the very best web browser to get the ol' Gal on the Internet with little web page issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.