Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where Can I Buy OS X Leopard?

Hello. I have an iBook G4 from Mid-2005, and I would really like to update it from Tiger to Leopard. But I can't find Leopard anywhere! The only places I'm finding Leopard is from a couple of sites with crazy prices ($100+). Snow Leopard is only $20 or $30, and it does so much more! Is there any way to either buy it from Apple for an appropriate price or download it? I have found a place to download Leopard, but it makes you complete an endless "offer" before you can download it and the offers don't even load! So is there anyplace I can buy or download Leopard for a reasonable price? Please help.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 2:54 PM

17 replies

Jul 25, 2015 3:04 PM in response to HFTaylor12

I really don't think Apple has stock any more, though you can always ask. Only Amazon and eBay are worth trying but be sure you buy the right disc. The grey disc is not for general use, being machine specific. You need the retail version which has a big X on the front amidst a picture of the universe. Do not buy downloads, particularly via Softonic and the like.

Jul 25, 2015 3:05 PM in response to HFTaylor12

Probably not. Leopard is no longer available from, or supported by, Apple, so eBay or Amazon is your only solution to finding a proper retail Leopard install disk - and that price is regrettably about right.

Leopard has never been legally available for download. Do not be tempted to purchase a download from a torrent site - it will be accompanied by all kinds of malware.

Jul 25, 2015 3:11 PM in response to seventy one

seventy one wrote:

I really don't think Apple has stock any more, though you can always ask. Only Amazon and eBay are worth trying but be sure you buy the right disc. The grey disc is not for general use, being machine specific. You need the retail version which has a big X on the front amidst a picture of the universe. Do not buy downloads, particularly via Softonic and the like.

Thanks for your help, but Amazon and eBay are those places with crazy prices! If I was to ask Apple if they had any, what's their email address?

Jul 26, 2015 2:15 PM in response to HFTaylor12

I know it can only be installed from disc, so I was going to burn those in-existing DMG or ISO files to a disc.

I know Ralph just said it, but that's an extremely bad idea. You have no idea what other items have been added to the original Leopard installer package. Once you give your admin password to install Leopard, you also give the installer permission to install any "extras", such as keyloggers, in those illegal downloads. It doesn't have to ask you again.

Jul 27, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Ralph Landry1 wrote:

You take a huge risk downloading an operating system of any kind from a non-official site. There are no guarantees that the files have not been corrupted or hacked so going that direction puts you and your data in jeopardy. It is far safer to just pay the money and get an official disk for Leopard.

I don't care how safe it is. I'm going to clean install Leopard (no data is at risk), and I would check the Activity Monitor for anything suspicious. And if anything went wrong, I could just clean install Tiger (that I have the disc for).

Where Can I Buy OS X Leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.