Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Twitter 3.1 continuously wants to update my Mac and iPad

Twitter 3.1 continuously wants to update my Mac and iPad even though it has been updated numerous times and even after the apps have been taken off both units. Happens every time I go into the app store and has been doing it since the 3.1 release in 2010. It's like I am continu ally being harassed by Twitter or the app store. Twitter su port won't help me.

MainStage, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 5:32 PM

1. Open a search window by pressing the key combination command-F in the Finder. Select This Mac as the search scope and search for the app(s) in question by name. Delete any outdated copies that you find.

2. If the search results seem to be inaccurate, rebuild the Spotlight index. If you try to search now, there will be an indication that indexing is in progress.

3. Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.appstore

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Trash. Relaunch the application and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

4. If the above steps don't resolve the problem, quit each app in question and uninstall it by following the instructions on this page. Alternatively, you can drag it from the Applications folder to the Trash, and empty. The data files you created will be preserved. Verify in Spotlight that there are now no copies of the app on your system. Download it from your Purchases history in the App Store.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2015 5:32 PM in response to ljbarber

1. Open a search window by pressing the key combination command-F in the Finder. Select This Mac as the search scope and search for the app(s) in question by name. Delete any outdated copies that you find.

2. If the search results seem to be inaccurate, rebuild the Spotlight index. If you try to search now, there will be an indication that indexing is in progress.

3. Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.appstore

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Trash. Relaunch the application and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

4. If the above steps don't resolve the problem, quit each app in question and uninstall it by following the instructions on this page. Alternatively, you can drag it from the Applications folder to the Trash, and empty. The data files you created will be preserved. Verify in Spotlight that there are now no copies of the app on your system. Download it from your Purchases history in the App Store.

Aug 21, 2015 3:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

This did not work. There is no Con tainers folder in then Library. I searched for com.apple.appstore and all that came up was an empty folder.
I have deleted the Twitter app on my mac and iPad numerous times and I still get the request to update Twitter 3.1. If I actually go ahead and update it installs it but the next day or a few days later I again get a request to update Twitter to 3.1. I delete Twitter on both Mac and iPad and the request still comes back.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B2A

SMC Version (system): 1.70f6

Serial Number (system): C02GP1NZDV11

Hardware UUID: 42301E14-E91B-5656-A59B-5D2FE2F278FF

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Twitter 3.1 continuously wants to update my Mac and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.