Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Display Off While Connected to Thunderbolt Display

Brand new 15" MacBook Pro, 10.10.4 and a brand new Thunderbolt Display.

When the MacBook Pro (turned completely off) is plugged into the Thunderbolt display and I turn it on, ONLY the Thunderbolt display operates, while the MacBook Pro display stays 100% off.

I've triple checked displays preferences and everything, and there's no explaining this. How do I return to normal operation where the MacBook Pro display operates as well?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 15"

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 6:01 PM

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Tim Hassett

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Aug 28, 2015 6:28 AM in response to Tim Hassett

Update: This issue has been taken to Apple Engineering, and is awaiting a firmware upgrade and/or some other fix. It's a known issue.

- SMC resets don't fix.

- PRAM resets don't fix.

- Swapping of Thunderbolt displays does not fix.

- Replacement of logic board does not fix.

- Total erase of storage (zero out data), and reinstall of OS X does not fix.

:-(

MacBook Pro Display Off While Connected to Thunderbolt Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.