Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a calendar month based on a date entered?

I don't even know if this is possible as so far I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

Basically, you are asked to enter a date and a certain number of weeks. For simplicity, the maximum number of weeks can be assumed to be 16 weeks. On one tab a calendar of the month of the date that is entered is shown as well as all the months for all the weeks included. For instance: I enter July 4, 2015 as the date and 8 weeks. The month of July and August would be shown.

Any idea how to do this??

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 6:51 PM

12 replies

Jul 26, 2015 2:14 AM in response to acdc2112

Hi acdc,

This is one way. It gives a two column calendar (Date, Notes).

If you want a calendar laid out with a week per row, that is more complex (but not impossible). Have a look at the Calendar Template in Template Chooser.

Enter Start Date and Weeks in the first table. Formula in C3 =B2 x 7. That tells the Calendar table where to stop. You can hide this column.

User uploaded file

Calendar table has sufficient rows to hold the 8 weeks (and a few more).

Formula in A2 =Input::A2

Formula in A3 (and Fill Down)

=IF(ROW()<Input::C$2+2,A2+1,"")

That will calculate the next date until the row number exceeds Days +2 in the Input table Then it inserts "" (blank).

User uploaded file

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 27, 2015 10:07 AM in response to acdc2112

This doesn't answer your question directly, but have you had a look at the Calendar template (File > New and pick from the template chooser)?

You pick a date and it shows a calendar for the month plus smaller calendars for the previous and following months. You can "extend" it by simply adding columns to the right (by clicking the table and then clicking the "circle" symbol in its upper right corner).

SG

Jul 31, 2015 9:32 PM in response to Yellowbox

Sorry, for the late reply. I've had a busy week. I was really trying to create something in that would give me a regular monthly calendar format (7 day week). I'm trying to create a monthly planner based on a date that is entered so it's for visual purposes. I don't plan on entering anything into the days themselves like in a microsoft outlook calendar. I guess the problem is there no way to generate a calendar table this way because everything is based off a sequence. So while you can lay out the future days of the month correctly from the start date, you can't do anything prior to that.

Aug 1, 2015 2:08 AM in response to acdc2112

Hi acdc,

Welcome back.

I am not sure what you are trying to do, so I am guessing:

• you want to enter a start date (for example 4th July in the current year) and a number of weeks from that date;
  • then create a monthly calendar starting on the first of that month, with weekdays across the top;
  • no need for cells where you type notes;
  • the calendar flows into following months (August in your example, to accommodate the 8 weeks);
  • days of each month are highlighted to show the duration of a project;
  • the calendar stops displaying dates after the end of August;

Please create a table manually to illustrate your aim. We can help with the formulas.

Regards,

Ian.

Aug 1, 2015 8:05 AM in response to Yellowbox

thanks for the quick reply.

Here's the best I could come up with to help illustrate my point. The first table is the fields with the two main entries 1) start date and 2) duration. The second part is the month calendar tables that are generated with the duration highlighted in red. I figured out how to get numbers to do this highlight parted so Im ok with that. I just need help with generating the table in the shown format based on the 2 entries.

User uploaded file

thanks

Aug 1, 2015 10:21 AM in response to acdc2112

Are you looking for something like this?

User uploaded file

I took the template and modified it, using a longer duration (planning period) than you specified in case you carry over into a third month.

The template looked intimidating at first. But all it does is calculate a beginning of the month date and beginning date of week for each month and everything flows from there. +DURATION(0,1) simply means add a day; +DURATION(1) means add a week.

Then, using a clever but simple bit of arithmetic, it calculates what I am calling an "anchor cell" upper left of each month table that uses the beginning of month date and beginning of month day of week to "go back in time" and calculate the date from the previous month that belongs there. The other values in the table flow from that anchor cell.

As with the template heavy use of Conditional Formatting is made to display or not display a particular date. I added a 'date is in the range' rule to the cells in each month to turn the text red.

I put a copy of the document here (Dropbox) if you want to have a look and modify it to fit your needs.

SG

Aug 1, 2015 11:34 AM in response to SGIII

im not not next to my Mac at the moment but if the only fields you need to enter data for in order to get those calendars to displays are start date and duration in weeks then this is exactly what I was looking for! thanks. I'll have to run it through when I get a chance Later today. Thanks for the dropbox file I'm sure it'll come in handy.

Aug 1, 2015 8:05 PM in response to SGIII

SGIII,

thanks again. I got some time to go through it this evening and looks like its what I was looking for. I'm trying to get a 4th month to show up in the display but am having some trouble with the first row in showing the beginning days correctly. I pretty much copied and pasted the 3rd month formulas to create a 4th month and adjusted the cells accordingly. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

User uploaded file

Aug 1, 2015 8:52 PM in response to acdc2112

I can't tell from the screenshot what might have gone wrong with the fourth month table. Note that the formula in the first row is different from the formula in subsequent rows. And you need to anchor the references (with $). I've revised the demo to add a sheet (tab) with four months, so you can check your formulas against it. It's at the same link as above.

SG

Creating a calendar month based on a date entered?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.