Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to perform a clean install on my Mac and upgrade to Yosemite now? Please help!!?

Hi,

I have been planning to completely wipe my computer and upgrade my OS X. I bought my white Macbook with around 2010; it runs Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I want to completely perform a clean install, wipe my computer clean of everything, and then upgrade to Yosemite. I already backed up all of my data onto two different external hard drives, so I am fine with wiping my internal hard drive clean now. However, I am having a few issues.

Here is the biggest problem: I have a corrupted Mac App Store. As bizarre as it sounds, for whatever reason, years ago I attempted to delete the App Store off of my computer, and did everything possible to get rid of it, from trashing it to trying to delete it -- and for years, it has been corrupted and completely unable to be opened or used in any way. The Mac App Store on my computer has been useless for years because of this; I can't even get it to open. The reason why I bring this up is because apparently the only way to download future Mac upgrades (i.e. my desired Yosemite) are to do so from the Mac App Store -- thus, I'm unable to do this.

Another problem is with my OS X itself. I bought the computer with Snow Leopard already installed and there was no installation disk that came with the computer whatsoever. Upon reading solutions for clean-installing my computer, apparently the best way to go about it would be to insert the Snow Leopard driver and go from there.. but I don't have this disk at all. This makes it even harder to "recover" the Mac App Store by restoring my computer to factory settings, since I don't have a disk.

Is there any way for me to perform a clean install on my computer without needing the App Store/Snow Leopard disk? I tried holding down the Option key while starting up my computer but, all it did was bring me back to my regular User login screen.. I would really like to do this tonight, but, I understand if there's no way considering the circumstances right now.. All I want to do is just completely restore my computer to factory settings and then upgrade to Yosemite.

Thanks very much for any help~!!

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 8:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 8:56 PM

Delete the Mac App Store completely, click here, and install the software. It isn't possible to do a true factory restore without the disk; to do a fresh installation of Yosemite, you either need to run the installation on a different partition(the Disk Utility can create one) or drive, or download the installer and use a product such as DiskMaker X to make a bootable drive from it.

(130799)

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2015 8:56 PM in response to canadawolf44

Delete the Mac App Store completely, click here, and install the software. It isn't possible to do a true factory restore without the disk; to do a fresh installation of Yosemite, you either need to run the installation on a different partition(the Disk Utility can create one) or drive, or download the installer and use a product such as DiskMaker X to make a bootable drive from it.

(130799)

Jul 25, 2015 9:50 PM in response to Niel

Thanks so much for the quick reply Niel~!! I'm downloading the software from the link you provided right now. But since it's taking a little long, I have to ask some questions, sorry if they sound stupid..

I know that you mentioned that it isn't possible to do a true factory restore without the disk, but what about booting my computer holding Command + Option + R? (Supposedly that erases the internal drive? Would that work at all?)

Also, if I bought a brand new Snow Leopard 10.6 disk from the Apple website, then inserted it into my computer, would I be able to go through my desired process?: Such as starting up with the disk and then installing Yosemite in a clean install?

I just wonder because, I was thinking if I ever went into Disk Utility and added a new partition and then deleted my original one, if that would have a negative effect? Supposedly Snow Leopard was originally pre-installed onto my computer (which is why I never had the disk), but would deleting the partition of the original drive return it to original settings, or would I pretty much mess it up since I have no installation disk in the first place?

Sorry for all the questions or if they sound confusing.. and thanks so much for your time!! For some reason I keep trying to find excuses around the impossibility of restoring to factory settings without the disk.. (lol)

Jul 25, 2015 9:56 PM in response to canadawolf44

1. That shortcut only works on computers which originally shipped with 10.7 or newer, or ones which have been upgraded to use Apple's Internet Recovery system.

2. The Snow Leopard DVD can be used for a clean installation of 10.6. Doing one for Yosemite requires following the instructions I posted above. If you're actually on a 2010 MacBook, you cannot use the retail DVD and must order a replacement original one.

3. Don't delete the original partition. The Disk Utility will not be able to reallocate that space to the Yosemite one without cloning the installed system and deleting the second one.

(130800)

Jul 25, 2015 10:04 PM in response to Niel

Thanks very much Niel~

I understand your points, and I'll be sure not to do those things. But I just have one question..

In your point #2, you say: "If you're actually on a 2010 MacBook, you cannot use the retail DVD and must order a replacement original one." I'm positive that my current MacBook is from 2010, definitely no later

Does this mean that, if I bought this one: http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard , it would be useless to me? If so, how would I go about ordering a replacement original one (assuming they're not the same as the ones sold on the site that I linked to above?)

Hehe sorry for all the questions again and thanks so much for all your time!!

Jul 25, 2015 10:19 PM in response to Niel

Hmm.. Niel.. sorry for coming up with so many issues..

After downloading the software link in your first reply (the 10.6.8 Update Combo software), it suddenly was completed downloading, and upon opening, it says: Warning - The following disk images couldn't be opened. [The chart says: Image: MacOSXUpdCombo10. Reason: no mountable file systems]

I'm not sure what to do, I actually figured the download finished a little earlier than expected... but still.. I'm downloading it a second time just in case, but would you happen to have any thoughts on this~?

Thanks again!!

Jul 25, 2015 11:30 PM in response to Niel

Hi Niel~

Thanks again -- luckily the download worked and completed this time, and now the App Store is opened and I'm downloading Yosemite right now.

However, (and sorry if I repeat myself) once Yosemite is finished downloading, would I still need to have the Snow Leopard disk to clean install my MacBook? (It's early in the morning here with 3 other people so I can't quite phone Apple at this time, but I really appreciate any kind of information as of now!!) I've heard of making a bootable USB installer for Yosemite and such.. and I have no idea how to go about doing that.. but regardless, I wonder, would that would even be necessary to create that USB installer now that I'm able to download the OS X? Or do you think that the bootable USB installer for Yosemite is pretty much necessary for me to do regarding my circumstances (considering I don't have a Snow Leopard install disk, or anything)?

Sorry if I sound confusing (I can repeat the questions if you want..) Thanks so much again for all your time~!!

Jul 28, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Niel

HI again Niel:

Thank you so much for all of your help, I'm currently starting the process of clean installing my computer. Although as stupid as it sounds, I got a bit hesitant right after beginning, and was wondering if I would be able to have some help..

Upon starting up with my boot installer drive, I opened up Disk Utility and was about to completely erase my original internal hard drive so I could begin. However, I know that there are two drives appearing at the side; one says "250.06 GB Hitachi HTS545[...]", and the one below it says "Macintosh HD". I was about to erase the first one (the Hitachi) but I hesitated a bit since I was unsure if I would be messing this up for myself by making the mistake of not erasing the Macintosh HD one instead.

Is it the right the to do, to erase the Hitachi one, as it also erases the Macintosh HD partition? Or is deleting the partition the only thing necessary to do a full clean install? Sorry for sounding confusing once again

Jul 28, 2015 3:03 PM in response to Niel

I see, thanks!! But one last question (sorry).. By just erasing Macintosh HD partition, would the Hitachi one carry over any information or data? I guess that wouldn't make much sense, but, I definitely want to make sure all my data is gone to start fresh (lol).. At the same time it seemed like erasing the Hitachi /disk would mess something up somehow, but I'm glad to know that that is not the case..

Thanks very much again for everything!!

Jul 28, 2015 8:08 PM in response to Niel

Niel,

Thank you so much for guiding me through the clean install process!! I was able to install everything correctly and OS X Yosemite is working very well!! So, I'm glad that the process went well and that I've been able to start fresh on my Mac. I really appreciate all of your time and effort in answering all of my questions, especially when needing help in a pinch.

Thanks again~!

I want to perform a clean install on my Mac and upgrade to Yosemite now? Please help!!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.