Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete hundreds of empty albums in iOS 8.4

I have an iPhone 4s with iOS 8.4 on it and after syncing with iTunes w/ the new Photos app on the Mac, my iPhone has thousands of empty albums that existed before upgrading from iPhoto.

I know that I can tap edit > tap "-" icon > tap delete for each empty album to get rid of it... but the problem is there are hundreds of useless empty albums that I'd like to delete, and that's going to take my months to complete.

I'd like to know how I can batch delete all these useless empty albums at once.

Things I have tried are...

fully deleting all photos

turning iTunes sync off and then turning it back on to do a clean sync

Options that I can't take are...

Resetting the iPhone and installing iOS 8.4 from scratch. (I see this a lot, but it's not really a 'solution')

Thanks,

Yoshihide

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 9:20 PM

4 replies

Jul 25, 2015 10:25 PM in response to Yoshihide K.

If you're convinced your Mac is managing your photos correctly (regarding space, folders, etc.), then you could always back up and then restore your iPhone to/from iTunes. That should clear out any memory of photos on your iPhone and bring them in from the Mac.

How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

How do I delete hundreds of empty albums in iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.