Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install Maverick which was the original OX but I installed SnowLeopard over it and need to do a Repair disk

The verify disk shows errors but I cannot use my install disk which is now Snow Leopard. Maverick was the original OX on my Imac Intel based.I used the now Leopard install disk but it does nor repair the disk.

Can I download Maverick now over Snow Leopard to get the disk repair. The error is in the values which are different from each other.

Can anyone help me?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 5:29 PM

If Mavericks was the original OS X when the computer was new, then you could not have installed Snow Leopard. So please clarify because what you should do depends on what specific Mac model you have.

5 replies

Jul 25, 2015 7:01 PM in response to margitfromchicago

So is it a 2007 or 2009? If it is a 2009, the original OS was Snow Leopard. If it is from 2007, it was either 10.4.x or 10.5.x.

Either is capable of running Yosemite; however, I would recommend that you install more RAM as 4 GB is generally considered to be the absolute minimum to run the newer OS versions. 8 GB would be good, more is better (depending on how much RAM yours can handle).

Now, if you had Snow Leopard, did you upgrade to Mavericks? And then you tried to install Snow leopard over that? Did you erase your hard drive at some point? And was reinstalling Snow Leopard successful?

If you want to upgrade to Yosemite, there is no need to uninstall Snow leopard - you can simply install the new OS over Snow Leopard as long as you have the latest of that version; 10.6.8.

I do not understand your reference to "I need to fix my Values" - what does that mean?

And, if you need to repair your hard disk, you will need to boot from a different source than your internal OS - if you have Snow leopard installed, there is no recovery to boot into, so you would have to boot from your Snow leopard install disk in order to repair your internal disk.

Jul 28, 2015 1:00 AM in response to babowa

The Disk Verify:

Invalid Volume file count. It should be 447788 instead of 447798.

Invalid Volume Directory count. It should be147568 instead of 127558.

The value of the Macintosh was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired -then use disk repair utility to repair the disk.

However, even with my Snow Leopard install disk the Disk Repair is grayed out.

What option do I have to get my disk repaired?

I even used the boot up command R and it brought up the normal boot up, not the menu of restoring the drive.

All help would be appreciated.

Jul 28, 2015 7:54 AM in response to margitfromchicago

Your computer may not have the update installed to allow the recovery partition as it is older (or is not compatible to have one).

You cannot repair your disk while you are booted from it.

Which OS is currently installed? If it is Snow Leopard:

When you used your install disk, did you boot from it? You need insert the CD and then restart the computer while holding down the C key (immediately after the startup chime) or, if that does not work, then insert the CD and go to System Prefeences > Startup Disk > select the CD and hit restart.

Once you are booted into the install CD, go past the language selection and then look for Utilities in the menu bar - choose Disk Utility and see if you can repair your drive from there.

Can I install Maverick which was the original OX but I installed SnowLeopard over it and need to do a Repair disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.