Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Map on Info box and Places Tab not appearing

I have an iMac and a Macbook, both on OS X 10.8.5. I use iPhoto (both on latest version iPhoto 11, 9.4.3).

All of a sudden, the map disappeared on both the Places tab and the Assign a Place box in the Info tab. The names of the places on the photos where i've previously assigned a place appear in the Assign a Place Box, but the map is not showing. Even when i downloaded new photos, where the places are already stamped from the camera, the place reads correctly in the Assign a Place box, but the map is not showing.

Please help.

Kind regards

Tareq

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMAC computer

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 10:46 PM

We have seen several reports of this problem recently. The maps are missing in all older Aperture versions and iPhoto versions that are still using Google maps and not the new Apple maps. In Aperture 3.5.1 and later or iPhoto 9.5.1 and later the maps are working well.

One possible explanation for the problem is, that the contract between Google and Apple expired recently. But so far we have not seen any acknowledgement by Apple that there is a problem with the maps. So we do not know for sure, if it is caused by the end of the Google contract or a server problem like the problem with the print services for books.

See this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7123544?answerId=28567942022#28567942022&ac_cid=tw123456#28567942

You may want to update to iPhoto 9.6.1 and Yosemite to get the places feature working again.

Make a full backup of your Mac before you upgrade - a Time Machne backup or bootable clone, so you can revert to your current system should any problems arise.

Apple stopped selling iPhoto, so it is a bit tricky to update. You will neither find an update on the Updates page of any App Store nor can you purchase iPhoto any longer. The update message, when you try to launch iPhoto is sending you on a wild goose chase. The only way to update is by reinstalling iPhoto, if you already own iPhoto and your purchase is associated with your AppleID at the Mac App Store

Barney-15E's user tip explains how to update to iPhoto 9.6.1 by reinstalling your purchase. Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2015 10:46 PM in response to TareqD

We have seen several reports of this problem recently. The maps are missing in all older Aperture versions and iPhoto versions that are still using Google maps and not the new Apple maps. In Aperture 3.5.1 and later or iPhoto 9.5.1 and later the maps are working well.

One possible explanation for the problem is, that the contract between Google and Apple expired recently. But so far we have not seen any acknowledgement by Apple that there is a problem with the maps. So we do not know for sure, if it is caused by the end of the Google contract or a server problem like the problem with the print services for books.

See this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7123544?answerId=28567942022#28567942022&ac_cid=tw123456#28567942

You may want to update to iPhoto 9.6.1 and Yosemite to get the places feature working again.

Make a full backup of your Mac before you upgrade - a Time Machne backup or bootable clone, so you can revert to your current system should any problems arise.

Apple stopped selling iPhoto, so it is a bit tricky to update. You will neither find an update on the Updates page of any App Store nor can you purchase iPhoto any longer. The update message, when you try to launch iPhoto is sending you on a wild goose chase. The only way to update is by reinstalling iPhoto, if you already own iPhoto and your purchase is associated with your AppleID at the Mac App Store

Barney-15E's user tip explains how to update to iPhoto 9.6.1 by reinstalling your purchase. Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

Jul 27, 2015 2:57 AM in response to léonie

Dear Leonie

Thank you so much for your reply, not only was it prompt, but it was right to the point and solved my problem.

I went ahead an upgraded my Macbook to Yosemite, and found the new iPhoto in the App Store, so downloaded that. The map is back and showing clearly (didn't much like the new Photos App from Apple though).

Once again, many thanks.

Sincerely

Tareq

Map on Info box and Places Tab not appearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.