Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini won't work with ATT Uverse

Trying to help a friend whose Mac Mini doesn't seem to work with AT&T Uverse IP-DSL. It's a 2006 model running 10.6.8. AirPort sees the Wi-Fi network and you can connect to it. Network preferences shows an active Ethernet connection.

But if you try to work on the computer while connected, it's mostly unresponsive. Sometimes you can open a web site or an application, but you get the spinning beach ball within about 20 seconds. Have to use the power button and reboot. If you disconnect Ethernet and turn off the AirPort, you can use applications and utilities without any problems. (My friend also has a newer iMac hooked up to the modem which works fine.)

The Mini used to be on a DSL over phone line connection with no problems (different provider). The trouble started when my friend switched to Uverse. The Mini AirPort is 802.11a/b/g and the modem is 802.11n/g. AT&T says it should work but maybe the Mini hardware is not fully compatible with IP-DSL.

My friend brought the Mini to a local shop and the tech found nothing wrong with it, but they didn't have Uverse. I've done some basic maintenance, like repairing permissions and cleaning out old cache files. The problems persist.

Would it make sense to buy a Wi-Fi dongle for the Mini and bypass the built-in hardware? Can anybody suggest a fix? Thanks!

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 9:18 PM

13 replies

Jul 26, 2015 1:26 AM in response to Blue.Note

Note the time of the next freeze/beachball. After rebooting open the Console app in Finder>Applications>Utilities and look for log entries at the time of the freeze. Post suspicious ones here.

What type of wifi security are you using on the router?

Also, try different types of security on the wifi router. Include no security as a test.

Jul 26, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Blue.Note

Trying to help a friend whose Mac Mini doesn't seem to work with AT&T Uverse IP-DSL. It's a 2006 model running 10.6.8. AirPort sees the Wi-Fi network and you can connect to it. Network preferences shows an active Ethernet connection.

I am confused about the network connection. Is your friend's computer connected to the AT&T Uverse modem via an ethernet cable or WiFi or both? It should be connected only to one or the other. An exception might be if the Mac mini is connected to the AT&T modem via ethernet and in turn is in turn sharing its ethernet network connection by creating a WiFi network. However, the AT&T Uverse is probably creating its own WiFi network which would duplicate the network created by the Mac mini.

But if you try to work on the computer while connected, it's mostly unresponsive. Sometimes you can open a web site or an application, but you get the spinning beach ball within about 20 seconds. Have to use the power button and reboot. If you disconnect Ethernet and turn off the AirPort, you can use applications and utilities without any problems.

If the Mac mini is connected via ethernet, why is WiFi even turned on?

(My friend also has a newer iMac hooked up to the modem which works fine.)

Its the iMac connected to the modem via ethernet or WiFi?

The Mini AirPort is 802.11a/b/g and the modem is 802.11n/g. AT&T says it should work but maybe the Mini hardware is not fully compatible with IP-DSL.

802.11a/b/g is fully compatible with 802.11n/g that is a requirement of the 802.11 protocol but 802.11 is strictly for WiFi and has no connection whatsoever with ethernet.

My friend brought the Mini to a local shop and the tech found nothing wrong with it, but they didn't have Uverse. I've done some basic maintenance, like repairing permissions and cleaning out old cache files. The problems persist.

Dollars to donuts the local shop only connected using WiFi or ethernet and not both which is why the Mac mini worked there

Would it make sense to buy a Wi-Fi dongle for the Mini and bypass the built-in hardware? Can anybody suggest a fix? Thanks!

It would make a lot more sense to disconnect the ethernet cable and disable the ethernet connection or turn off WiFi and rely on the ethernet. Ethernet is generally faster than WiFi anyway.

Jul 26, 2015 4:50 PM in response to Joe Bailey

A few more details -

The AT&T tech connected the iMac to the router with the Ethernet cable and also logged the computer into the WiFi network. AT&T said the iMac needed to be physically connected to use the admin web interface.

As for the Mini, the tech connected the Ethernet cable and turned on the internal AirPort but didn't login to the WiFi network.

(It's my understanding that Macs can have multiple simultaneous interfaces, so you can have an active wired Ethernet connection and an active AirPort connection. The Mac prioritizes the one that's listed first in network preferences.)

On the Mini, I tried Ethernet and then WiFi. With Ethernet you get the spinning beach ball the moment you try to do anything (launch an app, etc). With WiFi you can launch a program or get on the internet, but about 20-30 seconds later you get the beach ball. If you try to do more than one thing you get the beach ball right away.

For example, on WiFi I launched Firefox, got to Google fine, but the computer was very slow. So I tried launching the Activity Monitor, at which point I got the spinning beach ball. Another time I launched Firefox without a problem, then tried to launch a second program from the dock. No white dot appeared under the dock icon and I got the spinning beach ball.

Aug 26, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Blue.Note

I had nearly the identical problem as the OP: MacBook Pro (versus Mac Mini) running 10.6.8 connecting to residential AT&T Uverse wifi. The MacBook Pro worked fine as long as you didn't connect to the wifi network, but as soon you did connect the whole computer would beachball and lock up, usually requiring a hard reboot. Other devices worked fine, including iPhones, Android phones, Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptops, as well as a newer model MacBook Air. But this particular MacBook Pro would lock up.

The solution ended being that I logged into the ATT UVerse modem (https://192.168.1.254) and changed the wireless Authentication Type from "WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES)" to just "WPA2-PSK (AES)". Once I did that, the MacBook Pro was able to connect fine. No idea if it's that generation's Airport or something in OS X 10.6.8 or what, but that fixed it.

Sep 22, 2015 8:35 PM in response to GnomeSane

I Have an 2008 iMac and a macBook Pro both ruming OS 10.6.8. I have (had) the exact same problem as the OP. I follwed the directions (using my iPhone for web access) and it fixed everything.

A note for others: Your Modem Access code is printed on the side of the modem (you have to enter it after you make your changes to your setup.

Also, you must reboot the modem for the new settings to take affect. (Un plug the modem, count to 10, replug in.)

Thank you GnomeSane for this fix, that none of the ATT/Uverse help desk people could suggest after more than 4 hours of tech support phone calls!

Mac Mini won't work with ATT Uverse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.