Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I use my Mac OS X install DVD .

My iMac operate in safe boot only . the DVD not work , i can't used press C key and Command +R when restart . iMac always go back to restart place .

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 9:21 PM

15 replies

Jul 27, 2015 6:58 AM in response to rt0044

rt0044 wrote:

Thanks Eric,,

press commend + R .The Mac appear a little restart icon in the dark screen.

and i restart Mac with alt key , i can see startup partition . Mac HD / Windows . its can't startup in normal ...

So OS X and Windows are both installed on this disk? Based on that and based on the reported behavior of the boot disk, your boot disk structures are probably corrupted. That corruption can happen when the partitioning or the various low-level tools either go wrong or are used in unexpected and unintended ways or older versions of some of the software are used. It's unfortunately possible to get into this state with some tools and with some directions posted around the 'net, too.

There's also usually no easy recovery from a low-level partitioning-level disk corruption.

Wipe the disk and reinstall OS X, and either then use the current Boot Camp to configure and set up the appropriate environment for whichever version of Windows is in use — Boot Camp has associated and supported Windows versions, too — or install and use one of the virtual machine products and install whichever version of Windows you need as a guest of the virtual machine running on OS X.

Jul 27, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Eric Root

the whole story is,

(don't know if it's relevant) few months ago the windows XP in my iMac collapsed, I cannot access to my windowsXP since then, never know why

one day I was just browsing the internet normally, and the iMac suddenly freezes, no response at all. no matter where I click and what keys on the keyboard I hit. so I press the on/off button at the back and turn off my iMac.

(Also, my iMac gets really really HOT when running since that day, even now.)

after that, my iMac cannot turn on by itself, no startup sound no apple logo, and gets stuck in white screen.

It can be turned on ONLY in safe mode.Now, I can do limited things. I cannot read my text documents, cannot read CD/DVD, cannot upload files on the internet etc.

any other way to wipe my iMac clean with no DVD/no command+R?

could it be virus or something?

thank you so much!

Jul 27, 2015 1:31 PM in response to rt0044

Your iMac may be capable of using Internet recovery, otherwise you will need access to a USB DVD drive and a bootable disk that's been created for this, or to a USB device and a bootable flash drive or bootable external disk that's been created. (Here's how to create a bootable USB device from another Mac.) If there's another Mac around and with a compatible cable — FireWire or Thunderbolt — there's also Target Disk Mode.

If you have the option, I'd try to get a backup of this disk, via Target Disk Mode or using Disk Utility from the created boot disk, and writing to a scratch external disk. Formatting the disk will erase the entire contents of the disk.

Once the problem is understood, it's usually found to be something that's been installed — add-on anti-malware tools are a common choice for causing problems, as are tool bars and "accelerators" and advertising packages and "cache cleaners" — or a hardware problem or a disk corruption. Problems with disk partitioning can lead to corruptions, unfortunately. What happened here is not at all clear to me, though.

how can I use my Mac OS X install DVD .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.