Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updating from 4.1.2 - will old files work with 10.1?

I just recently updated to Yosemite, and now my trusty old GB 4.1.2 isn't working properly. Part of me wants to just bite the bullet and update to GB 10.1 but I have years worth of work in my GB library and I'm a bit nervous to say the least. Is 10.1 backwards compatible all the way to 4.1.2? Will all my old GB files still work? For the record: I am on a mid 2007 intel core duo iMac with 4GB memory. thanks!

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 9:28 PM

1 reply

Jul 25, 2015 11:27 PM in response to jlaw18

That will depend on which instruments you have been using in your projects. Upgrading to GarageBand '11, version 6.0,5 would bring a better compatibility than the new GarageBand 10.0.

The SoundEffect instruments form older GarageBand versions are no longer supported in GarageBAnd 10, so if you have created your own sampler instruments this way, they will not play properly in GarageBand 10.0. And there are no more Podcast tracks. The iLife Sound Effects are missing. If you decide too upgrade to GarageBand 10.0, don't uninstall your current GarageBand, so your instruments and loops will remain installed.

updating from 4.1.2 - will old files work with 10.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.