Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I watch a DVD without iDVD?

iMac (Intel), OS X Lion 10.7.5. Still getting the hang of it, as I have the whole computer secondhand from a friend who moved.

When I insert a disc and try to open iDVD, I get a message "You cannot use this version of iDVD with this version of Mac OS X (iDVD 6.0.4)."

Of course, it didn't take me long to discover that iDVD is discontinued as Apple, in their wisdom, has unilaterally decided no one will watch DVDs anymore. I won't waste time with a rant on the "screw you, consumer" stupidity and greed of this policy.* And how I still have iDVD on a 10.7.5 environment that can't open it, I'm not sure.

So, to my question: is there an alternative I can download somewhere, or some application I might already have that can play a DVD?

Thanks, all.

-Mike

*Klaus1 says it very nicely here: Why is there no iDVD on my new Mac?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 9:45 PM

4 replies

Jul 25, 2015 9:57 PM in response to Yohei72

Aside from the fact that it was discontinued, iDVD is not meant for watching DVDs - it is to assemble and burn DVD movies you've put together.

And, yours is an old version - if you actually want to use it, you'd have to buy a retail copy of iLife 11 which includes the latest iDVD version - they are still available at online resellers such as ebay and Amazon. I have the latest available (v. 7.1.2) and it works up to and including Mavericks (10.9).

How do I watch a DVD without iDVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.