Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro only loads a black screen

So recently, I purchased an old, 2007, Mac Pro from a friend. It was missing the RAM, HDD, and Video Card. I was able to install 4GBs DDR2 ECC RAM, and a fairly new video card which probably isn't supported but still loads graphics. The HDD, I just used a fairly new WD and a SSD. After trying those drives, and using an USB drive to install, it wasn't working. I tried putting in an old OSX 9 HDD I have from my old Mac Book Pro, wouldn't load. Just a black screen. The only HDD that loads is some 2003 version of Ubuntu off an old drive. I can't figure out how to get it into the install for OS X with the USB drive or to read the old files of that old HDD. Just wants sit there and do nothing, haha. Suggestions? I am able to take a video if needed. (Thanks in advanced, I'm new 😝 )

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 2:15 AM

7 replies

Jul 26, 2015 2:29 AM in response to EliteWhopper

Do you have another Mac?

Can you download the Lion installer from the Mac App store on the that Mac?

If yes then try making a USB install media using

DiskMaker X

and boot from that and install OSX

What video card do you have?

PC (not flashed for Mac) cards will not show a boot screen until the drivers load and the drivers do not load during setup.

Most PC cards will work with fully updated Lion.

The 2007 Mac Pro will not run anything earlier than about 10.4.7

Do y have a Snow Leopard install DVD? It has to be a commercial DVD not one that shipped with another Mac

Jul 26, 2015 4:02 AM in response to lllaass

No, I sadly don't so I can't do anything as advised in the first paragraph.

It's an ASUS GT 630. No idea if it would work on the Mac. The funny thing is that with that Ubuntu HDD, it did display and I could see everything and mess around. I'm trying to install Lion, nothing earlier anyways. I don't, I could get it on my USB drive from somebody who'd sell it to me or something but I only have Lion as of now.

(P.S. Thanks so much for replying!) 😀

Jul 26, 2015 9:08 AM in response to EliteWhopper

Just what version of Lion do you have?

Where did it come from?

Is it bootable or it is just install media?

You have a PC card and nothing will show on the boot screen until the drivers load.

Also

1) What OS versions will work?

In order to boot with an NVIDIA PC card, you need to have:

• 10.7.4 with the 270.00.00f06 driver installed
  • 10.8 and beyond

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-about-nvidia-pc-n on-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

Ubuntu installs the necessary drivers

Jul 26, 2015 2:21 PM in response to lllaass

I have no OS on the machine. I'm trying to install it from an USB flash drive. The version I'm trying to install with the USB Flash Drive is OS X 10.7.3. It came from a seller who was selling the OS X install on USB Flash Drives.

No idea what the difference between boot-able or install media but it's probably install media since it's just to install the OS.

(Thanks so much for answering back, as I've stated. If needed, I can always take photos or videos. Trying to make it easier for you and your free service.)

Jul 26, 2015 2:55 PM in response to EliteWhopper

You are out of luck. If the install media was 10.7.5 you may be able to install 10.7.3.

I would find another Mac with FireWire

Connect the two via FireWire

Boot your Mac Target Disk Mode

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

and then use the USB installer to install 10.7.3 to one of your Mac's HD.

Boot the other computer from yur HD when connected via Target Disk Mode and fully update to 10.7.5.. The go to System preferences>startup disk and identify that as the startup disk

The you should be able to boot your Mac from your HD.

However, nothing will show on the boot screen until the drivers load which is right before the log in screen. You will not be able to use special startup keys that requires you to view the screen. That may create a problem with initial boo with the HD since it is not identified as a startup disk and yo can't see what the screen is offering as a boot disk

You can also place your HD in a USB enclosure and connect that to another Mac and use the USB installer to install 10.7.3, as described above.

Mac Pro only loads a black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.