Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan speeding up infrequently

I enjoy for many years my Mac Pro - 4,1: Early 2009 version

Configuration:

• 2 Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors
  • 16 Gb of memory, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB and WDC WD6400AAKS-41H2B0 649 Gb
  • ATI Radeon HD 4870

Since sometime the fan of the video card starts to speed up but not to a constant higher mode; it varies up and down without any specific cause other than perhaps the room temperature is a bit high (25 Celsius).

Does someone has similar experiences or perhaps even solutions for this?

Thnx!

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 8:48 AM

Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

Install a temperature and fan speed monitoring app and see if y are getting high temps and if your heard fan speed corresponds to what the app shows.

7 replies

Jul 27, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Bas Alias

If this behavior is new it could be a warning sign of hardware failure. Be sure to do backups while you can still use the screen! Maybe turn on remote access so you can login via another machine if your video display gives out.

If your graphic card checks out fine you might check your main power supply too.

My Mac Pro Tower's main power supply had to be replaced because I couldn't get it to goto sleep or wakeup reliably.

Jul 28, 2015 8:52 AM in response to lllaass

I installed iStat; pretty comprehensive :-)

After another reset of SMC and NVRAM the problem seems to solved

Why 'seems': I thought I solved it some months before this way and yet it re-occured

I am still not sure whether it is a hardware problem or a software problem because I know some intel processors have issues with virtualisation which I use ...

Anyway; iStat gives great inside to monitor the hardware so let's see how things enfold

Fan speeding up infrequently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.