Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My newish (3 months) MacBook Pro 15" has excessive fan noise which is getting worse, more frequent. Is there anything I can do?

MMacBook Pro retina 15" mid 2014

processor 2.5 ghz Intel core i7

16 gb 1600 MHz ddr3

OSX Yosemite 10.10.4

FAN getting worse now on from start up. Really annoying. Any solutions? Not very techni Al not sure where to start.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 4:28 AM

15 replies

Jul 26, 2015 4:37 AM in response to SJM1957

Start by asking yourself what applications do you have running all the time? Do you have anything like a cleaning program or anti-virus program running in the background? Those use a LOT of resources that will cause the fan to run excessively.

You can also get the free program etrecheck,http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck and run that to see what is using resources.

You can also just go to Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor and see what the Memory Pressure is (use the Memory tab) and what the CPU load is.

If all of those results are at a low level, nothing is running and using resources, take the MacBook to an Apple store genius bar and have the techs run their diagnostics to see if there is a reason for the high fan activity.

Jul 26, 2015 4:53 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Hi Ralph, thanks for answering. I've looked at the CPU these are the stats: System 2.50 / User 97.69 / Idle 0.00 Threads 952 Processes 226 (all varying here and there) The box is full with blue and a red line at the bottom reflecting the System and User I presume.

It seems that com.hp.devicemodel is using 775%CPU with time at 7.01.54.00 (approx) this seems large.. It might be my printer, but it is not connected? could this be the issue? I think it first started when I connected to the printer some time ago, and has been annoying since, connected or not?

Jul 26, 2015 5:08 AM in response to SJM1957

HP can't write software, yours is a not uncommon problem best solved by getting rid of the HP printer and accompanying junk. Failing that at least get on to HP for software that works.

775% means that HP's printer software is using 97% of your Macs cpu, all the time.

Buy a printer that has nothing to do with HP, especially if it is cheap.

Search the site, you are not the only one with this problem.

My newish (3 months) MacBook Pro 15" has excessive fan noise which is getting worse, more frequent. Is there anything I can do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.