Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did all the storage space go? OmniDiskSweeper doesn't seem to have an answer

Hi everyone,

I recently started getting the dreaded startup volume almost full messages on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014).

Here's what the storage bar looks like in the about this mac window -

User uploaded file

But OmniDiskSweeper only reports 76.9 GB of total data on my drive!

User uploaded file

I've cleaned trash, caches, language files etc at this point using Monolingual & Dr. Cleaner and am totally confused at this point as to what is it that is taking up so much space on system.

What is it that OmniDiskSweeper is unable to scan? I can only count about 70GB of data on adding up all the folders on the root of my drive and ODS confirms that on sizing my HDD.

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 4:56 AM

15 replies

Jul 26, 2015 5:28 AM in response to royohmzzz

I haven't done this in a long while but open up the spotlight preference pane. Go to the privacy tab and Add the internal hard drive to the list of items you don't want spotlight to index. Make sure you select the drive "Macintosh HD" not a particular sub folder. Once you have the HD on the list to exclude exit out of the system preferences. Now relaunch system preferences and remove the "Macintosh HD" item you just added. You will see spotlight reindex your HD. Let me know if that works it has been years since I have done this. Also your spotlight index might not be what is cause the loss of disk space, let us know if this doesn't solve your issue.

Paul

Jul 26, 2015 5:52 AM in response to Paul Conaway

Thank you for your responses guys, however in my case the reported size difference is so huge that I doubted the spotlight re-index would solve it, however I still went ahead and did it.

The only difference is now ODS reports a total size of 74.7 GB instead of the previous 76.9 GB which could also be due to some other cleanup I've been doing in the past hour, still no idea where the “Other” space is being used, something that ODS is unable to answer.

User uploaded file

Here's the updated snapshot of system storage -

User uploaded file

Jul 26, 2015 6:17 AM in response to Paul Conaway

I like to use Grand Perspective (also free) in conjunction with ODS. It takes a visual approach which at times is more effective in spotting problems.

If one still is unable to reconcile or identify the problem, then in those rare instances both ODS and GP can be run in 'root' and that occasionally leads to a solution.

Reindexing Spotlight is a good suggestion, but there are those occasions where it does not correct the display. This seems to be one of them.

Ciao.

Jul 31, 2015 1:36 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Finally!

Turned out it was file versions database located at the root as a restricted hidden folder /.DocumentRevisions-V100 that was taking up close to 170 GB of space on the drive, it didn't turn up in ODS scans probably due to permission issues.

However thanks to your suggestion of looking at Grand perspective I was able to figure this out albeit a bit late on giving some attention to the visuals that the app provided -

Major 2 chunks - large yellow area on the left and one with red, green, yellow etc blocks next to it are all revision files saved by Mac OS, I went ahead and deleted the versions folder which should be recreated as I restart my mac now, it freed up around 166 gigs on my drive.

Thanks a LOT for your inputs everyone!

User uploaded file

Where did all the storage space go? OmniDiskSweeper doesn't seem to have an answer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.