Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after temporarily stopping photo backup how do I restart without uploading all my pictures?

TO avoid international data charges from photo upload, I disconnected iCloud photo backup on my iPhone. Now I want to reconnect, but when I start the process the cloud tells me my available space is too small (18 GB). I presume the cloud wants to re upload all 3900 pictures again. Other than deleting all my pictures from the iPhone is there a way to reconnect iCloud photo backup without uploading 3900 dupes?

thanks

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 4:40 AM

9 replies

Jul 26, 2015 5:21 AM in response to Winston Churchill

My mistake. I am referring to iCloud Photo Library. i had been uploading and storing my entire photo library to the cloud for easy access on other I devices. But because I planned on taking photos with my phone while traveling internationally, I disconnected from iCloud Photo Library to avoid the automatic upload and resultant data charges. Now I want to return to the previous state but I'm unable to figure out how to do so.

thanks

Jul 26, 2015 5:26 AM in response to lfelker

I'm pretty sure that it will not actually load all the photos again, but rather simply check them and decide that they are duplicates. Unfortunately, if I understand you correctly it seems to initially count the space that these photos take which seems to be a problem for you. Is there any way you can free up some space on your iCloud in order to restart the iCloud photo library.

Jul 26, 2015 5:38 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Youve identified my problem. I have the 25 GB storage plan ($11.99/yr) that I do not believe is available any longer. My photos take up about 16 GB; everything else about 5 GB. So, no, I can't remove enough stored data to make room for the photos. I could temporarily increase storage space for a month but then i dont think I could go back to the 25 GB plan. The cloud won't let me start uploading until I increase storage space. I could do a local backup and delete all photos on iPhone and sync with cloud, I guess.

THanks again

Jul 29, 2015 7:27 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I spoke with an Apple CSR that, contrary to my previous experiences, was very helpful and knowledgeable. He understood my problem immediately and walked me through some simple, but not successful, potential solutions. His recommendation: back up all my photos and videos locally and delete enough files from icloud.com to open up enough space for things to work again. I deleted almost all of my saved videos, but none of the pictures, and things seem to be working again. The videos are (very slowly) backing up to iCloud. Hopefully, they will all be uploaded in a few days.

The CSR also suggested that the next time I want to avoid inadvertently uploading pictures and videos to iCloud, go to Settings>Cellular and click iCloud off of the list of apps using cellular data.

Thanks for your help

Lex

after temporarily stopping photo backup how do I restart without uploading all my pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.