Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 microphone not working when taking over the phone.

I Have an iPhone 6 which I bought Septebmber 2014. Last week my iPhone 6 microphone stoped working. When people would call me on the phone they would say that they could not hear me at all. Also, when recording on snapchat, the sound is gone and cannot hear anything. I took it to the Apple Store and they relaxed it with another iPhone 6. Now it's literally been a week with this replacement and it HAS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH THE MICROPHONE as the previous iPhone that they replaced. It's becoming very irritating because I don't want this to keep occurring. I have no idea if it's just my luck and coincidentally got another phone that doesn't have a working microphone. I have made an appointment to visit the Apple Store again. Is anyone else having problems with their microphone? Will Apple give me a yet again another replacement? I really don't like how they give refurbished replacements. I would much rather receive a brand new iPhone 6 out of the box, I do not care if they keep the earphones and charger. Also, the speaker seems to be lower than when first received. The previous phone was in good care, was not dropped and had no water damage. This replacement is a week old and has the exact same problem.

Thanks. I hope I did this correctly as this is my first post/question.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 7:04 AM

2 replies

Oct 20, 2015 2:34 PM in response to aam29290

I have experienced an issue almost identical to your own. I upgraded to iPhone 6 in December, 2014. Six months later, in June 2015, I took my phone in for repair because I could not record voice messages on the Apple voice memos app. Callers could only hear my voice when I placed them on speaker phone or if my ear buds were inserted. I could, however, dictate text and communicate with Siri. Apple replaced my phone. Today, less than four months after having received a replacement iPhone 6, the identical issues are occurring with the voice message app and callers can only hear me when I place them on speakerphone or are using ear buds. I'm still able to communicate with Siri and dictate text. I've reset the entire phone to factory settings and there is no change with these issues. One could speculate that the first iPhone 6 I received as an upgrade and the refurbished iPhone 6 I received as a replacement having the exact issues would mean there is some type of manufacturing defect associated with the microphone or other technical aspects of the sound system of iPhone 6 . If the sound problems happen on a brand new, out of the box iPhone and happen after the phone has been refurbished does that mean the issue cannot be fixed? I would appreciate any assistance to rectify this. Living and working in NYC is very time consuming. Getting a timely appointment to have the issue fixed (now for the second time) has not been a reality and is an annoyance I shouldn't have to experience with an Apple product. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Nov 27, 2015 6:24 AM in response to aam29290

I am also experiencing problems with the microphone. I have an iPhone 6, bought beginning of 2015. I've recently had issues where the person on the other end of the line can't hear me properly. The sound seems to be very muffled and fades in and out. I turn the phone on and off, it seems better for a short period then I have the same problem. I've tried factory reset but no help. I've followed the steps advised by Apple, cleaning the mic etc but it's not blocked and nothing is covering it so what is the problem. I can make my self heard by using speaker phone. Apple, I'm very disappointed. I have a beautiful (expensive) iPhone that I can't use to make calls..... Please help me solve this issue.

Iphone 6 microphone not working when taking over the phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.