Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3.0 Hub Take a long time to work

I have a USB 3.0 hub that I had been using on my Mac Pro 2008 with no issues. Of course, I understand my 2008 MP only had USB 2.0, but the hub worked perfectly. It's a powered unit.

When connected to the new Mac Pro, it lights up for a second during power on and then shuts down. After three or four minutes two of the ports become active and light up, but the other five do not. After perhaps 10 minutes, they all light up and it works fine. Very frustrating and with this issue, I can't connect my mouse or keyboard to it because I would have no access. Apple support was able to see lots of looping errors in the logs, but had no advice.

Anyone see this and have any possible solution? Or perhaps a USB 3.0 Hub that does work well?

Mac Pro Intel, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 7:39 AM

5 replies

Jul 27, 2015 6:33 AM in response to lllaass

Hello and thank you for the response. It's a 7 port powered USB 3.0 Hub. Manufacturer is Via Labs, but it's sold under a few OEM names.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Charging-Support/dp/B008ZGKWQI /ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438003927&sr=8-2&keywords=7+port+usb+3.0+hub

Yes, I believe I will have to try another hub, as this one cannot be firmware updated from what I understand. Once the Mac sees it and lights it up for a second on boot up and shuts if off, nothing in it is seen by the system. Then, like I'd said, two ports light up and those devices come alive, then after an unknown period of time (about 10 minutes) the hub lights up and everything works for the reminder of the session.

USB 3.0 Hub Take a long time to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.