Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Time Capsule with Charter Cable Modem?

I currently have DSL. I am using the DSL modem in bridge mode and having my Time Capsule handle all the routing and in-home networking, including WiFi. We may need to go with Charter Cable to get faster upload speeds. If at all possible, I would like to have Charter pull a new cable to my house, swap the DSL modem out for the cable modem, and use the cable modem in bridge mode, in order to minimize the changes (there will be some) to my in-home network settings via the Time Capsule.

Has anyone else made essentially the same swap of a cable modem for a DSL modem with minimal changes? Am I dreaming? Was it easy or a nightmare? Any particular cable modem recommended? (I probably want to supply my own cable modem, from Charter's list of compatible modems, to ensure I get one that will interoperate with my Time Capsule with minimal changes to my in-home network, if possible.) All feedback from Charter customers using a Time Capsule would be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 8:18 AM

5 replies

Jul 26, 2015 8:35 AM in response to louiexiv

The chances that the Time Capsule......which has been set up to work with a DSL connection.....will work correctly if you connect it to a cable modem are just slightly above zero.

Whenever you change providers.....or change the modem.....you need to reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings and then set it up again to work with the new provider and/or the new modem.

You can use the same name for the Time Capsule and passwords when you reconfigure the device with the new modem.

I'm not a Charter customer, but do notice that the Zoom 5341J is on their "approved" list. I've never had any issue at all with my modem since I installed it a little over a year ago.

Jul 26, 2015 11:52 PM in response to Bob Timmons

A factory reset seems a little extreme. I see no reason (ignorance is bliss) why I would need to change anything downstream from the Time Capsule, i.e. on my home network, except maybe a few tweaks. The changes "should" be limited to upstream changes for the new ISP. I'm assuming I can put the cable modem in bridge mode and let the Time Capsule handle security. You may prove to be right about a reset, but first I'm going to try a more incremental approach, if for no other reason than to try to maintain my sanity.

I don't see any Zoom modem on the list of "Compliant Modems on the Charter Network." Maybe there are regional differences.

Jul 27, 2015 6:22 AM in response to louiexiv

I see no reason (ignorance is bliss) why I would need to change anything downstream from the Time Capsule, i.e. on my home network, except maybe a few tweaks

If you were staying with the same provider.....say they use DSL....and you change the DSL modem....your chances of having the Time Capsule work without having to reset it improve.

Cable Internet connections are entirely different than DSL, so the odds of having the Time Capsule....which is set up to work with a DSL connection.....actually function correctly when you connect the cable modem are not at all good.

If you connect the Time Capsule to the new cable modem and it works correctly, that will be truly remarkable. Let us know when you can....but I think you would be wise to keep in mind that you will very likely need to reset the Time Capsule to allow it to work with the new modem.

Jul 28, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

Cable Internet connections are entirely different than DSL, so the odds of having the Time Capsule....which is set up to work with a DSL connection.....actually function correctly when you connect the cable modem are not at all good.

Well, no. The connections are essentially identical -- tcp/ip in both cases. Any technical differences between DSL and cable are handled by the modem hardware.

As it turned out, once the installer had my cable modem working, it was effortless for me to get everything else working. After plugging the router into the cable modem, only two minor tweaks were needed:

1. Change connection type from PPoE to DHCP; reboot Time Capsule.

2. Add Charter DNS server; reboot Time Capsule.

After those two trivial changes, everything else -- my entire home network -- worked exactly as it did before switching from DSL to cable, except, of course, a lot more quickly. Oh, that reminds me, time to cancel the DSL service.

Using Time Capsule with Charter Cable Modem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.