Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2015 External Monitor Resolution with Samsung Syncmaster Using VGA to Mini Display

I bought a new 13" Macbook Pro (Early 2015) . When I plugged in my VGA to mini display ports to my Samsung SyncMaster 2433 the resolution would only go to a max of 1280 x 1024.

On my old Macbook, the I could get a resolution of 1920x1200.

Any suggestions on fixing this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2015 8:30 AM

5 replies

Jul 31, 2015 6:03 AM in response to PaynesBrain

Perfect post... I was just coming in to ask this question. I have the same MBP and a 21" monitor that used to run at high resolutions is now limited to 1280x1024... pretty miffed about this and I want to be able to get the higher resolution...

I smell a bit of a conspiracy brewing here.. I bet the answer is going to be Apple wants more of my money by upgrading to a newer adaptor 😉..

I wonder if a quick and less expensive fix would be to purchase a HDMI to DVI cable.. I assume your monitor has a DVI port? Mine does and I think I will go to Walmart and pick up a $10 cable to test it.

Aug 10, 2015 4:38 AM in response to jgowrie

Using the HDMI port does work. Possibly using a different Display Port adaptor off one of the Thunderbolt ports would work but the one I had was limiting the resolution. With the HDMI to DVI cable, I am getting 1680x1050 which is much better.

Sounds like the answer is you need to update your method of connection to your monitor so the new Macbook Pro model can utilize the monitor.

Macbook Pro 2015 External Monitor Resolution with Samsung Syncmaster Using VGA to Mini Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.